In 1807 there was no school in the parish. The
rector wished to establish one because he
thought that the children of the poor were
unruly and in need of training but he had
found the village too poor and the local landowners too
indifferent to support one. (fn. 98) There was still no school
in 1818. (fn. 99) Between 1818 and 1832 local Anglicans
succeeded in establishing a Sunday school and a day
school which for many years remained closely connected. By 1832-3 there were 36 pupils at the day
school. Parishioners then subscribed towards its
expenses, but by 1846-7 the rector alone seems to
have maintained the school, paying the mistress £6 a
year and providing her with board and lodging. The
number of pupils was then 50. (fn. 1)
In 1858 Capel Cure, the patron of the church, provided a new school building with accommodation for
34 children. It remained his property and he and his
heirs appointed the school managers for many years.
In 1871 an inspector reported that to ensure universal
elementary education in Abbess Roding 10 more places
were needed than were available at the school but that
these were vacant at Beauchamp Roding. (fn. 2) In 1888
the Abbess Roding school was enlarged to take all local
children. (fn. 3) In 1893 its accommodation was estimated
at 65 and average attendance was 54. (fn. 4) In 1904 there
were 56 pupils and 2 teachers. (fn. 5)
Under the Education Act 1902 the school passed
under the administration of the Essex Education Committee, Ongar District. Beauchamp Roding children
attended at Abbess Roding after their own school had
been closed in 1923. (fn. 6) By 1930, however, attendance
had fallen to 36 and in 1937 the school was reorganized
for mixed juniors and infants, the seniors going to the
new central school at Ongar. In 1947 the Abbess
Roding school was closed because the County Council
found it impossible to bring the existing site and premises up to a proper standard. The children were
transferred to the Fyfield and White Roding schools. (fn. 7)
The school building is now a private residence. It
is single-storied, of red brick with a tiled roof. The
former teacher's house, a two-story building, is
||E.R.O., D/AEM 2/4.
Retns. Educ. Poor, H.C. 224, p. 266
(1819), ix (1).
Nat. Soc. Rep. 1832, p. 77; Educ.
Enquiry Abstr. H.C. 62, p. 287 (1835),xli; Nat. Soc. Enquiry into Ch. Schs.1846-7, pp. 16-17.
||Min. of Educ. File 13/2.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1899), 310.
Retn. of Schs. 1893 [C. 7529], p. 712,
H.C. (1894), lxv.
Essex Educ. Cttee. Handbk. 1904,
||Min. of Educ. File 13/16.
||Ibid. 13/2; inf. from Essex Educ.
Cttee. and the Revd. R. T. K. Griffin.