Shelley
Charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W. R. Powell (Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Page

208

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Shelley: Charities', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 208. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15663 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

CHARITIES

Harvey Kimpton, lord of the manor of Shelley, by will dated 1817, left £100 in trust for the poor of the parish. In 1834 the income was distributed in small sums of cash to all poor parishioners including some receiving parish relief. William Bullock, by deed poll of 1822, gave £333 6s. 8d. in trust for the poor, subject to a lifeinterest for himself. In 1834 the income was spent on bread, meat, and coals for all poor parishioners of good character. (fn. 78) A scheme of 1863 provided for the use of both charities in support of a clothing club or for gifts in kind, but in 1950 £10 were distributed from them in gifts of cash to 20 people. (fn. 79)

Footnotes

78 Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), H.C. 216, pp. 241-2 (1835), xxi (1).
79 Char. Com. files.