No manor court rolls
for Blaisdon are known to survive. Henry Peyton and
Samuel Sheppard held courts in the earlier 17th
century, (fn. 49) and a 17th-century survey of the Ayleways' estate mentioned suit of court as an obligation
of the freeholders and copyholders. (fn. 50)
Overseers' accounts survive for 1728-78 and
churchwardens' accounts from 1820. (fn. 51) There were
two churchwardens from the 15th century; (fn. 52) in the
early 1730s the same two men served as churchwardens and overseers, but later there was only one
overseer. The usual forms of poor relief were
applied. The overseers accounted for repairs to the
church house in 1728 and 1752; (fn. 53) it was evidently
the building by the church which was described as
the poorhouse in 1839. (fn. 54) The cost of relief remained
fairly stable in the mid 18th century but trebled
during the last 20 years of the century. The cost of
relief fell later but there was another sharp rise in the
late 1820s. In the 1730s c. 5 people were receiving
regular monthly pay; in 1803 12 people, including 4
who were disabled, were receiving permanent
relief. (fn. 55) Blaisdon was included in the Westbury
Union in 1835, (fn. 56) and became part of East Dean
Rural District. (fn. 57)
||Glos. Colln. deeds 48.2, 4.
||Glos. R.O., D 333/M 1.
Penes the rector.
||Hockaday Abs. cxxvi, 1468.
||Overseers' accts. 1728-78.
||G.D.R. Blaisdon tithe award.
||Overseers' accts. 1728-78; Poor Law Abstract, 1804,
184-5; 1818, 156-7; Poor Law Returns, H.C. 83, p. 71
Poor Law Com. 2nd Rep. p. 524.
||East Dean R.D. was the successor to Westbury Rural
Sanitary District and had the same constituent parishes.