Churcham
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

28

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Churcham: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 28. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15746 Date accessed: 18 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY.

There were three women recusants in Churcham parish in 1603, (fn. 63) and 12 nonconformists there in 1676. (fn. 64) Wesleyan Methodists registered a chapel at Birdwood in 1814, (fn. 65) and in 1851 it had a congregation of c. 70. (fn. 66) It remained in regular use in 1970. The chapel, which evidently dates from c. 1814, (fn. 67) is a brick building with stone quoins and has two tiers of round-headed windows with leaded lights; a small brick house for the minister, also with round-headed windows, adjoins it on the west. Unidentified dissenting groups registered a house in the parish in 1817 and at Over in 1835. (fn. 68)

Footnotes

63 B.M. Harl. MS. 594, f. 255v.
64 Compton Census.
65 Hockaday Abs. clii, 1814; cf. G.D.R. vol. 383, no. cviii.
66 H.O. 129/334/2/4/10.
67 Cf. Glos. R.O., Q/RI 43; there was no building on the site in 1803.
68 Hockaday Abs. clii.


<--Previous:
Churcham:
Churches