Newnham
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

49

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Newnham: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 49. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15755 Date accessed: 23 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

A schoolmaster of Newnham, Isaac Hieron, subscribed in 1662. (fn. 67) No further record of a school has been found before 1818, when there was a day school with 60 boys and girls and a Sunday school with 84. (fn. 68) In 1833 there was a day school supported by fees with only 17 boys and girls, and two Sunday schools, of which the C. of E. school had 90 pupils and the Independent school 26. (fn. 69) In 1839 the C. of E. school, apparently a day school, met in a building in the High Street, the Independent school was behind the chapel, and there was also a day school in the Littledean road. (fn. 70) The C. of E. schoolroom had been built in 1835, (fn. 71) but in 1847, when it was in union with the National Society, there were only 21 pupils. There were then two dame schools with 27 children between them. (fn. 72) In 1855 John James by his will gave to the town all his interest in the buildings and site where the parish day school had long been held, together with £100 in trust for the upkeep of the buildings, for use as a C. of E. school, (fn. 73) but in 1858 the National day school was said to have been recently moved to the new site given by James. Attendance was then 87. (fn. 74) A new National school in Church Street was built in 1867; (fn. 75) in 1869 it was receiving an annual grant and had an attendance of 111 with an additional 21 attending evening school. (fn. 76) The school was enlarged in 1895, and in 1897 had an attendance of 202 (fn. 77) which fell in the early 20th century but was back to nearly that figure in 1936 (fn. 78) and 1968, when the older children went to school in Cinderford. (fn. 79) A British school was established in 1864, with an attendance of 72 in 1867 (fn. 80) and 55 in 1869 when it was in receipt of an annual grant. (fn. 81) The school closed in 1872. (fn. 82) A boys' boarding preparatory school called Brightlands was opened in 1908 in the large brick house formerly called Riverdale and built c. 1870 on the site of the ancient churchyard; in 1968 the school had 60 boys. (fn. 83)

Footnotes

67 Hockaday Abs. ccxcviii.
68 Educ. of Poor Digest, 305.
69 Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 322.
70 G.D.R. Newnham tithe award.
71 Newnham par. rec., vestry order bk. 16 Dec. 1841.
72 Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 12-13.
73 Glos. R.O., D 265/T 8; for James see above, p. 37.
74 Ed. 7/35/235.
75 Date on bldg.
76 Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council 1869-70 [C. 165], p. 574, H.C. (1870), xxii.
77 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1897), 253.
78 Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 165; 1922, 106; 1936, 123.
79 Local information.
80 Ed. 7/37.
81 Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1869-70, p. 574.
82 Ibid. 1872-3 [C. 812], p. 264, H.C. (1873), xxiv.
83 Ex inf. the head master; Glos. R.O., D 1388/SL 8, nos. 35, 77; see above, p. 48.