Eastington
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

138

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Eastington: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 138. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15787 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY.

Dissenting groups registered houses in the parish in 1763 and 1795, and one at Nupend in 1803. (fn. 40) In 1808 the Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel on the south side of the main road at Alkerton; (fn. 41) congregations of up to 300 were claimed for it in 1851. (fn. 42) The chapel was rebuilt in 1870; (fn. 43) it is a stone building with tall round-headed windows. In 1824 a chapel was built on the road between Westend and Nupend (fn. 44) by Joseph Hill. It was intended for use by Primitive Methodists, but soon afterwards Hill gave the use of it to a Baptist minister, Peter King, who was mainly responsible for establishing a Baptist community at Eastington. (fn. 45) The chapel was said to have congregations of up to 170 in 1851. (fn. 46) The chapel was rebuilt in brick in the Gothic style in 1871. (fn. 47) Two houses at Alkerton were registered by other dissenting groups in 1845. (fn. 48) The Baptist and Wesleyan chapels remained in use in 1968, but both had only small congregations. (fn. 49)

Footnotes

40 Hockaday Abs. clxxxix.
41 Glouc. Jnl. 18 July 1808; G.D.R. Eastington tithe award.
42 H.O. 129/337/2/6/10.
43 Date on bldg.
44 H.O. 129/337/2/6/11; G.D.R. Eastington tithe award.
45 T. F. Newman, A Memoir of Peter King (1851), 19 (copy in Glos. Colln. C 18A).
46 H.O. 129/337/2/6/11.
47 Date on bldg.
48 Hockaday Abs. clxxxix; Glos. R.O., Q/RZ 1.
49 Ex inf. Mr. Keys.