In 1764 £452 was subscribed by
eight inhabitants of Eastington for teaching poor
children to read. (fn. 50) In 1818 the endowment, which
produced £18 16s. a year, supported four schools
where 76 children were taught, and a teacher was
paid to instruct 30 children at one of the clothmills. Another 20 children attended the charity
schools at their parents' expense, and 50 were
paid for by their parents at four small day schools;
it was said that almost all the children in the parish
received education. (fn. 51) In 1824 a new schoolroom for
the charity school was built north-west of the churchyard on a site given by Henry Hicks, lord of the
manor, and partly paid for by a grant from the
National Society. (fn. 52) In 1833, when the school became
affiliated to the National Society, there were two
day and Sunday schools, evidently separate schoolrooms for boys and girls, and a lending library was
attached; the endowment was supplemented by
subscriptions and the collections at two sermons each
year. (fn. 53) In 1847 the National school had a salaried
master and mistress helped by 19 unpaid teachers,
and the total daily attendance was 81. (fn. 54) By 1849
school pence had been added to the other sources of
income, and a deficiency in funds was guaranteed
by a parishioner. (fn. 55)
A Wesleyan Sunday school was in existence by
1833 when it taught 152 children, and there was a
Baptist Sunday school with 88 children. (fn. 56) In 1858
a schoolroom adjoining the Wesleyan chapel at
Alkerton was built for a day school. In the next
year both the Wesleyan (fn. 57) and National schools
applied for state grants, but it was decided that one
school for both communities should be established
in a new National school building on the site of the
old rectory. (fn. 58)
An infant school supported by Charles Hooper
had been established by 1856, (fn. 59) and the support was
continued by his son C. H. Hooper; (fn. 60) an endowment
of £100 made by Edward Ricketts brought in
£2 16s. 5d. in 1879. (fn. 61) In 1875, when it occupied the
schoolroom adjoining the Wesleyan chapel, it
applied to become a public elementary school, (fn. 62) and
in 1879 it was moved to a new classroom adjoining
the National school, although the two schools were
not officially merged until 1897. (fn. 63) From 1899 the life
of the National school was disrupted by a dispute
between the schoolmaster who, supported by the
rector, Richard Rimmer, made the children attend
church, and nonconformist parents supported by
C. H. Hooper who claimed that the action contravened the agreement of 1859; the dispute, which
caused the closure of the school for a time, was not
resolved until the rector's resignation in 1902. (fn. 64)
The school had an average attendance of 128 in
1904, (fn. 65) and the numbers remained stable during the
next 30 years; (fn. 66) in 1968 the attendance was c. 115,
the older children of the parish going to school at
Stonehouse. (fn. 67)
16th Rep. Com. Char. 65. For a detailed account of the
schools see Keys, Eastington, 112-42.
Educ. of Poor Digest, 298; cf. Keys, Eastington, 114.
||Keys, Eastington, 114; G.D.R. Eastington tithe award.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 314; Glos. R.O., P 127/VE 2/1.
Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 8-9.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 314.
||Keys, Eastington, 117, 121; Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1870),
542, however, lists a separate Wesleyan school at Alkerton.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856), 282.
||Ibid. (1870), 542; it was probably the infant school
that was held in a cottage at Churchend in 1870: Glos.
R.O., D 1347, Hicks fam. 1773-1903, sale of Leaze estate.
||Glos. R.O., P 127/VE 2/3, charity accts. and entry for
||Keys, Eastington, 131.
Public Elem. Schs. 1906, 184.
Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 161; 1922, 104;
1932, 114; 1936, 120.
||Ex inf. the head master.