The Congregational church
west of the green originated in or before 1756 when
a group of dissenters registered a house for use as a
meeting-house. The same group registered another
house in 1757 as an Independent meeting, and in
1776 they registered a newly built chapel (fn. 43) which
had been opened in that year by Rowland Hill, the
evangelical preacher. A burial ground by the chapel
was in use 1778-99. In 1801 the chapel got its first
settled minister, (fn. 44) whose successor in 1851 claimed
a congregation of 200. (fn. 45) There was a resident
minister until the end of the 19th century; (fn. 46) in 1968
the church was served by lay preachers and a
retired minister. The building, of brick with a
double-ridged roof, was given pointed windows
apparently in 1849, when the similarly windowed
schoolroom was built. (fn. 47)
A meeting-place at Fromebridge Mills was
registered in 1820, and a dwelling-house in the
parish in 1826. (fn. 48) A meeting-house with a congregation of 50 in 1851 had been in use four or five
years. (fn. 49) No other reference to those meetings has
||Hockaday Abs. cc. The authority for the date 1760 on
the board outside the church is unknown.
||W. Lewis, Frampton Congregational Church (Glouc.
and Frampton on Severn, 1876), 12-18 (Glos. Colln.
R 137.1); cf. Rep. Non-Parochial Regs. Com. , p. 21,
H.C. (1837-8), xxviii. For Hill see D.N.B.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1894), 159.
||Date on bldg.
||Hockaday Abs. cc.