Frampton on Severn
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

155

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Frampton on Severn: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 155. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15796 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

In the early 16th century the chantry-priest of Frampton taught the children, (fn. 50) and a tenement that had belonged to the chantry was still called the school-house in 1570. (fn. 51) Two schoolmasters living in Frampton in 1798 (fn. 52) presumably taught private schools: there were boarding schools in the village in 1819 (fn. 53) and until 1897. (fn. 54) No day-school, only a Sunday school with c. 50 children, was recorded in 1818, (fn. 55) but a day-school with as many children was established by 1825. (fn. 56) Including boarding schools, Frampton had eight day-schools in 1833, but they were all run at the parents' expense; they had a combined total of 103 children, compared with 175 children attending two Sunday schools, one C. of E. and the other, slightly larger, Independent. (fn. 57) A National school, with separate departments for boys and girls, was built in 1842 (fn. 58) and in 1847 had a combined daily attendance of 89. (fn. 59) In 1869 an evening class was also held there. (fn. 60) Attendance at the day-school remained at just under 100 until the 1930s; (fn. 61) in 1968, when the older children went to schools in Stroud and Quedgeley, the Frampton on Severn C. of E. Primary school had 134 children. The building of 1842 is single-storied and of brick; a new timber classroom was added in 1960. (fn. 62) The Independent Sunday school, started in 1816, developed into a British day-school apparently in 1849, when the schoolroom beside the Congregational church was opened. (fn. 63) The British school appears to have closed as a day-school in the seventies, (fn. 64) but the building remained in occasional use in 1968.

Footnotes

50 Req. 2/120/6 m.2.
51 Req. 2/135/27.
52 Glos. R.O., D 149/X 17.
53 Glouc. Jnl. 18 Jan. 1819.
54 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856 and later edns.).
55 Educ. of Poor Digest, 300.
56 G.D.R. vol. 383, no. lxxiii.
57 Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 315.
58 Date on bldg.
59 Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 8-9.
60 Rep. of Cttee. of Council on Educ. 1869-70 [C. 165], p. 573, H.C. (1870), xxii.
61 Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 162; 1936, 121.
62 Ex inf. the head master.
63 Lewis, Frampton Cong. Ch. 27, 35; date on bldg.
64 Cf. Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1879), 649; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Glos. XL. 11 (1880, 1903 edns.).