Frampton on Severn
Charities

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

155

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Frampton on Severn: Charities', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 155. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15797 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES.

Samuel Phillimore of Dursley by his will dated 1798 gave £150 to buy land from which the rent was to provide bread for the poor of Dursley, Cam, and Frampton. Frampton received £2 6s. a year in the early 19th century, (fn. 65) £1 13s. in the early 20th, (fn. 66) and £1 18s. 4d. in 1968 when the money was distributed in cash. (fn. 67) Anne Wicks (d. 1841) gave £1,086 in 1829 for the aged and infirm poor, known as her smaller charity, and by her will gave the interest on her stock, amounting to £7,745, to the poor over 55, known as her larger charity. The larger charity was regulated by schemes of 1909 and 1937. In 1967 the income was £228 from the larger charity, distributed in the form of monthly pensions to c. 20 people of 55 and over, and £23 from the smaller charity, distributed in cash to 23 people of 60 and over. (fn. 68)

Footnotes

65 16th Rep. Com. Char. 66.
66 Michell, Pages from the Past, 15.
67 Ex inf. Mrs. E. Meadows, clerk to the trustees.
68 Char. Com. Recs.; cf. Glos. N. & Q. iv. 176, 201; ex inf. Mr. C. R. Williams, of Frampton.