No evidence of manorial courts has been found for Saul or for Fretherne
before the 18th century. Until the mid 16th century
Saul, as a member of Standish manor, was presumably represented at and subject to the court at
Standish. At Fretherne a manorial court was
introduced or revived in 1773. Although the lord of
the manor's right to hold a court was apparently not
challenged, local memory reaching back to c. 1670
could produce no recollection of a court held at
Fretherne. (fn. 18) The revived court purported to be a
court leet, and appointed a constable as well as a
hayward. (fn. 19) In 1716, however, there had been a single
constable for Fretherne and Saul together. (fn. 20) Draft
court rolls for Fretherne survive for 1775 and 1776; (fn. 21)
the court may not have been held at any later
Although Saul was part of the ecclesiastical parish
of Standish and was joined for most secular purposes
with Fretherne, for example sharing a constable and
being taxed with Fretherne, (fn. 22) it had nevertheless its
own organs of parish government. In 1563 there
were two churchwardens for Saul chapel; (fn. 23) in 1640
there were two churchwardens and two overseers
for Saul, (fn. 24) and in 1672 four churchwardens and two
overseers for Fretherne and Saul together made a
return of exemption from tax. (fn. 25) Record of other
parish officers for Saul has not been found. For
Fretherne there were two surveyors of highways in
the years 1768-70, but in the period 1771-1832
there was only one surveyor each year and one man
might hold the office for a succession of years, as
did the rector from 1813 to 1819. (fn. 26) By 1793, when
the surviving overseers' accounts for Fretherne
begin, one man at a time held the office of overseer
for a year or a period of years. The forms of poorrelief given by the overseer included the payment of
rent and medical bills and the provision of clothes. (fn. 27)
In Fretherne the cost of poor-relief was relatively
low for the area in the late 18th century and early
19th; in Saul it was actually lower in 1803 than in
1776, though it doubled between 1803 and 1813. (fn. 28)
A sharp rise in the cost of poor-relief in Saul in the
1830s (fn. 29) presumably resulted from the closing of the
tinplate mills at Framilode. (fn. 30) Both Fretherne and
Saul became part of the Wheatenhurst Union in
1835 (fn. 31) and of the Wheatenhurst highway district in
1863. (fn. 32) In 1935 the combined parish of Fretherne
with Saul was transferred to the Gloucester Rural
District. (fn. 33)
||Glos. Colln. RF 139.4 (4).
||Glos. R.O., Q/SO 4, at end.
||Glos. Colln. RF 139.4 (5-6).
||Atkyns, Glos. 445, 639; cf. Glos. Subsidy Roll, 1327, 51,
where the entry under 'Salle' clearly applies to both places.
||Hockaday Abs. cccxxxi.
||Glos. Colln. RF 139.6.
||Glos. R.O., P 152/SU 2/1.
||Ibid. OV 2/1.
Poor Law Abstract, 1804, 184-5; ibid. 1818, 158-9.
Poor Law Returns, H.C. 83, p. 72 (1830-1), xi; H.C.
444, p. 70 (1835), xlvii.
||See p. 164.
Poor Law Com. 2nd Rep. p. 524.
Lond. Gaz. 24 Mar. 1863 (p. 1709).
Census, 1931 (pt. ii).