Hardwicke
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

188

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hardwicke: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 188. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15820 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

A schoolmaster of Hardwicke took the oath of allegiance in 1716, (fn. 63) and another schoolmaster who died in 1775 was buried at Hardwicke. (fn. 64) In 1818 there was a Sunday school with 60 children; the day schools were said to be used only to mind children while their mothers were at work. (fn. 65) The Sunday school, with a master, a mistress and two assistants and 44 children, was supported in 1833 by T. B. Ll. Baker; a day school was run at the parents' expense. (fn. 66)

A new day school was founded, in a new singlestory brick building, c. 1840. In 1847 when there were 63 children in boys' and girls' departments each with a teacher, T. B. Ll. Baker met the whole expense, and in 1867, when there were 73 children paying graduated school pence and under a single teacher, he still owned the building as did his successor in 1967. (fn. 67) The school became a National school, and was enlarged in 1893. Attendance fell slowly to 65 in 1879, (fn. 68) 64 in 1910, and 56 in 1936. (fn. 69) In 1967 the Hardwicke Parochial School had 55 children; the older children from the village went to schools in Quedgeley and Gloucester. (fn. 70)

Footnotes

63 Glos. R.O., Q/SO 4, at end.
64 Bigland, Glos. ii. 23.
65 Educ. of Poor Digest, 300.
66 Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 316.
67 Ed. 7/34/154; Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 10-11.
68 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1879), 678; (1902), 207.
69 Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 162; 1936, 121.
1 70 Ex inf. the head teacher and County Education Office.