Longney
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Page

205

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Longney: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 205. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15836 Date accessed: 26 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

In 1818 there were two dame schools but no educational endowment. (fn. 65) A Sunday school that was started in 1820 had an attendance of 30 in 1825, when there was also a dame school kept by the parish clerk, (fn. 66) and of 40 in 1833, when the Sunday-school master received £5 a year. (fn. 67) There was apparently no school at all in 1846. (fn. 68) A National school was established in a new building in 1863, (fn. 69) and had an attendance of 38 in 1869. (fn. 70) The building, which is a single-story brick building incorporating a two-story teacher's house, (fn. 71) was enlarged in 1896. Attendance fell from 71 in 1902 (fn. 72) to 44 in 1936 ; (fn. 73) in 1968, when the older children went to school in Quedgeley and Stroud, there were 32 children in two departments. (fn. 74)

Footnotes

65 Educ. of Poor Digest, 303.
66 G.D.R. vol. 383, no. clvi.
67 Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 320.
68 Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 12-13.
69 Ed. 7/34/200.
70 Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1869-70 [C. 165], p. 573, H.C. (1870), xxii.
71 Cf. Glos. R.O., D 2186/84, plans and elevations dated 1861.
72 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1902), 232.
73 Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1936 (H.M.S.O.), 122.
74 Local information.