The halimote of
Standish was recorded c. 1190, when it acted as
witness to a deed. (fn. 62) Standish manor court was
recorded in 1535, (fn. 63) and the profits from it, including
pannage and heriots, were a considerable part of
the issues of the manor, over £7, in 1540. (fn. 64) Two
courts were held each year in the mid 16th century; (fn. 65)
rolls survive from two courts of 1682, (fn. 66) there are
transcripts of 24 courts in the period 1597-1614
when up to 4 courts were held each year, (fn. 67) and there
are drafts of 2 courts in 1671 and of 47 courts,
usually 2 each year, in the period 1730-58. In the last
group there are few agricultural presentments or
agricultural orders, the presentment of nuisances
becomes perfunctory, and of default of suit purely
formal. (fn. 68)
By 1498 Standish and its dependent chapelries
had each its own pair of churchwardens. (fn. 69) Churchwardens' accounts survive from 1642, with a gap
from 1685 to 1735, overseers' accounts from 1717,
and surveyors' accounts from 1764. (fn. 70) In the 18th
century and early 19th the overseers relieved the
poor not only with cash payments but also by paying
rents, buying coal, food, and clothes, and paying
for house-repairs; they also paid for apprenticing
and for medical treatment from time to time. Some
of the poor were housed in parish houses, probably
in the building that later became the school. (fn. 71)
The office of surveyor of highways was held by
one man at a time for a number of years. (fn. 72) The
parish was divided into three tithings: (fn. 73) Colethrop
tithing was treated as part of Hardwicke for purposes
of taxation, (fn. 74) and contributed to the Hardwicke
constable's rate; (fn. 75) Putloe tithing, including Standish
Moreton, had its own constable in 1716, (fn. 76) who may
have had authority also in the part of Putloe in
Moreton Valence; Oxlinch tithing, three times as
large as each of the others, included Pitchcombe,
Standish Court, and Little Haresfield. (fn. 77)
The parish became part of the Wheatenhurst
Poor Law Union in 1835 (fn. 78) and of the Wheatenhurst highway district in 1863. (fn. 79) It was transferred
to the Gloucester Rural District in 1935. (fn. 80)
Trans. B.G.A.S. xxxvii. 230.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), ii. 411.
||S.C. 6/Hen. VIII/1248 rot. 13d.
||S.C. 12/2/46 f. 37.
||Glos. R.O., D 678/Standish/66B.
||Ibid. 566. Lilley, Standish, 92, gives wrong dates for
the earliest transcript.
||Glos. R.O., D 678/Standish/567-84, which include
lists of suitors.
||Hockaday Abs. xxii, 1498 visit. f. 8.
||Cf. B. & G. Par. Recs. 248.
||Par. rec., overseers' accts.; cf. Lill1y, Standish, 199-
207, where it is wrongly assumed (p. 205) that the building
that was later the school, which the lord of the manor
owned, was not on the waste.
||Par. rec., overseers' accts.
||Cf. G.D.R. tithe award.
||Atkyns, Glos. 455; cf. E 179/247/14 rot. 13d.
||Glos. R.O., D 49/11/7; cf. Rudder, Glos. 472.
||Glos. R.O., Q/SO 4, at end.
||G.D.R. Standish tithe award.
Poor Law Com. 2nd Rep. p. 524.
Lond. Gaz. 24 Mar. 1863, (p. 1709).
Census, 1931 (pt. ii).