In 1818 there was a Sunday
school with 30 children, and there were a few dame
schools. (fn. 73) A day school for girls was started in 1820,
and one for boys in 1833, both supported by
voluntary contributions. In 1833 the girls' school
had 31 pupils and the boys' school 20. (fn. 74) By 1839 a
parochial school had been established in the ancient
building called the almonry, which was improved
and altered to serve as a school c. 1844. Attendance
was 35-40 in 1865, when fees of 2d. or 6d. were
charged. (fn. 75) The numbers had risen to 60 by 1902, (fn. 76)
but were down to 50 in 1910 (fn. 77) and remained near that
figure. (fn. 78) The school remained in its old building
until it was closed in 1963. (fn. 79) In 1967 the younger
children went to schools in Stonehouse. The school
building was acquired in 1950 by the parochial
church council. It is of stone, two-storied, and
buttressed; the mullioned windows have lights with
four-centred heads; the southern half of the roof
comprises three wide, arch-braced roof-trusses;
and there are four four-centred arched doorways.
The building is known locally as the almonry or
the bede house, despite the fact that the alms which
Standish manor provided in the Middle Ages were
distributed in Gloucester. (fn. 80) It stands apart from the
buildings of the manor-house, on the far side of the
gateway, and is likely to have been the church
house for which the tenants of Standish paid a
rent in 1540. (fn. 81) The theory that it was the original
parish church (fn. 82) presupposes that it has been greatly
enlarged and thereby re-oriented; there are no clear
indications that any of the fabric is older than the
16th century, though the restoration of c. 1844 may
have disturbed the evidence.
By 1856 there was a small dame-school at Colethrop, (fn. 83) which from 1874 appears to have been
held in the mission church there. (fn. 84) The school
was closed c. 1884, (fn. 85) perhaps because it depended for
support on J. D. T. Niblett (d. 1883). (fn. 86)
Educ. of Poor Digest, 312.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 326.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1902), 292. The statement in 1882
that the children went to school in Pitchcombe applied
only to part of the parish: Glos. N. & Q. vi. 18.
Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 166.
||e.g. ibid. 1936, 124.
||Glos. R.O., S 305.
||e.g. Hist. & Cart. Mon. Glouc. (Rolls Ser.), iii, pp.
||S.C. 12/2/46 f. 33.
||Cf. Standish Church (Standish Parochial Ch. Council,
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856), 356; Glos. N. & Q. vi. 55.
||Lilley, Standish, 234-5.
||It is not mentioned in Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885), 571.
||Burke, Land. Gent. (1898), 1099.