King's Stanley
Manors and other estates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Pages

245-250

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'King's Stanley: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 245-250. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15870 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MANORS AND OTHER ESTATES.

A five-hide estate at King's Stanley was held by Tovi in 1066; in 1086 he retained two hides by grant of William I while the remainder had passed to Thurstan son of Rolf. (fn. 19) After the forfeiture of Thurstan's lands in William II's reign (fn. 20) the Crown granted the manor of KING'S STANLEY to William le Meschin, the younger brother of the Earl of Chester, who was dead by 1135 leaving as his heir one Alice. (fn. 21) By 1160 the manor had escheated to the Crown, which retained it until 1188 (fn. 22) when Henry II granted it to Walter son of Thurstan le Despenser, and in 1204 it was confirmed to Walter's brother Aumary. (fn. 23) Aumary was dead by 1215 when custody of the manor was given to Rowland Blewett, guardian of Aumary's heir Thurstan le Despenser, (fn. 24) In 1216 the Crown granted the manor to Hugh Mortimer (fn. 25) who was disputing it in 1221 and 1227 with Thurstan; (fn. 26) in 1229 the manor was confirmed to Thurstan, (fn. 27) but Ralph Mortimer was claiming it in 1230. (fn. 28) Thurstan held the manor in 1235, (fn. 29) and by 1253 it had passed to his son Adam, who obtained a grant of a market and fair; (fn. 30) it was probably then that Adam created the borough, first recorded in 1295 after his death, in part of the manor. (fn. 31) When Adam was captured by Roger Mortimer at the battle of Northampton in 1264 he pledged the manor of Stanley to William Devereux (de Ebroicis) who had given security to Mortimer for the payment of Adam's ransom, (fn. 32) and Adam and Devereux were disputing the manor in 1277. (fn. 33) At his death c. 1295 Adam was succeeded by his son Aumary le Despenser (fn. 34) who held the manor in 1303 (fn. 33) but had granted it by 1311 to John Giffard of Brimpsfield. (fn. 36) In 1313, however, the manor was in the hands of the Crown, (fn. 37) which apparently retained it until 1315 when John Giffard was pardoned for acquiring it without licence. (fn. 38)

On John Giffard's rebellion and execution in 1322 the manor passed to the Crown (fn. 39) but in 1323 it was granted to John's wife Avelina, (fn. 40) who held it at her death c. 1327. (fn. 41) In 1328 it was held by John Mautravers as guardian of John Giffard's lands, (fn. 42) and in 1330 it was included in the quitclaim made by John of Kellaways, the heir of the Giffards, to John Mautravers; Mautravers forfeited his lands the same year, (fn. 43) and in 1337 the Crown granted the manor to Maurice of Berkeley (d. 1347). (fn. 44) The manor was restored to John Mautravers in 1351, (fn. 45) and after his death in 1364 (fn. 46) passed to his wife Agnes (d. 1375), (fn. 47) and then to his grand-daughter Eleanor and her husband John FitzAlan (fn. 48) (d. 1379). It then passed to John FitzAlan's son John (d. 1391), (fn. 49) whose wife Elizabeth received it in 1393. (fn. 50) She died in 1408, when it passed to her son John FitzAlan, (fn. 51) later Earl of Arundel (d. 1421). (fn. 52) A third of the manor was retained in dower by John's wife Eleanor until her death in 1455; (fn. 53) the remainder passed to their son John, Earl of Arundel (d. 1435), and to his son Humphrey who died a minor in 1438. The manor passed to Humphrey's uncle William FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel (fn. 54) (d. 1487), and to the successive earls, Thomas (d. 1524), William (d. 1544), and Henry FitzAlan. (fn. 55) Henry's son-in-law John Lumley, Lord Lumley, held the manor in 1558 or 1559, (fn. 56) but Henry granted it to the Crown in 1560. (fn. 57)

In 1609 the Crown granted the manor to George Salter and John Williams, (fn. 58) and by 1610 it had passed to Sir George Huntley of Frocester (fn. 59) who sold the borough of King's Stanley in 1617. (fn. 60) In 1631 his son William sold the manor to Sir Robert Ducie, Bt., (fn. 61) on whose death in 1634 it passed to Sir Robert's son Richard (fn. 62) (d. 1657). Richard was succeeded by his brother, Sir William Ducie, later Viscount Downe (d. 1679), whose estates passed to his niece Elizabeth (d. 1703) and her husband Edward Moreton (d. 1687). (fn. 63) The manor passed to their son Matthew Ducie Moreton, created in 1720 Baron Ducie of Moreton (d. 1735), (fn. 64) and then to his son Matthew, created in 1763 Baron Ducie of Tortworth (d. 1770). (fn. 65) The estate then passed to the nephew of the second Matthew, Thomas Reynolds, Lord Ducie (d. 1785), who assumed the name of Moreton, (fn. 66) to Thomas's brother Francis, Lord Ducie (d. 1808), who also assumed the name of Moreton, (fn. 67) and to Francis's son Thomas Reynolds Moreton (d. 1840), created Earl Ducie in 1837. In 1839 the estate, which included Court farm, Woodside farm, and Stanley Wood, amounted to c. 310 a. (fn. 68) Before 1846 it was sold by Thomas, Earl Ducie, or his son Henry, to William Leigh (fn. 69) of Woodchester Park (d. 1873); Leigh's son William was succeeded before 1919 by Henry Vincent Leigh. (fn. 70) The Leighs sold the estate c. 1922; Court farm was bought by G. W. Fletcher, whose son Mr. J. G. Fletcher owned and farmed it in 1967, (fn. 71) and Woodside farm by the Malpass family who farmed it in 1967. (fn. 72)

The original manor-house was presumably on the moated site west of the church. Excavation there has indicated that the site was occupied in Henry I's reign and the moat enlarged in the mid 12th century, (fn. 73) and the name King's Hill later applied to the site suggests occupation during the later 12th century when the manor was held by the Crown; (fn. 74) a house belonging to the manor was recorded in extents of 1295 and 1322, but not in one of 1331. (fn. 75) Court Farm on the south-east of the village served as the manorhouse in the 19th century, but had only comparatively recently become part of the manor estate; it had presumably been a part of the borough, to which it owed a quit-rent in the 18th century, and, as the name dates from before its acquisition by the lords of the manor, it, or its adjoining building known as the Court House, may at one time have been the meeting-place for borough courts. The Court House may have been the building that c. 1775 was thought to have once served as a gaol. (fn. 76) Court Farm was evidently included in the 'Court estate' owned by a Mr. Chapman in 1734 (fn. 77) and acquired from him before 1751 by Richard Clutterbuck of Peckstreet House (fn. 78) who was presumably the Mr. Clutterbuck who owned Court Farm in 1777. (fn. 79) In 1783 Court Farm was owned by Thomas Purnell Purnell (fn. 80) who sold the house and 107 a. in 1792 or 1793 to Francis, Lord Ducie, the lord of the manor. (fn. 81) It is a 17th-century stone house comprising a rectangular block with gabled extensions to the west; it has some stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds but others were replaced in the early 18th century with sash windows. The Court House to the west is a single stone-built range, apparently of the 16th century, similar to a large barn, which purpose it served in 1967. It has two stories and attics, with arched doorways, stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds, a stone newel stair at each end, and a roof with curved wind-braces; a grotesque face is carved on the finial of the southern gable. A massive central fireplace and chimney were apparently added later, and the west wall is supported by a large buttress. (fn. 82) Another stone barn near-by has a similar roof and is apparently of the same date as the Court House. In 1773 Edmund Clutterbuck of the Stanley House branch of the family described the Court House as 'now uninhabited' and 'formerly a very good mansion, and the ancient seat of our ancestors'; (fn. 83) he was presumably either recording a family tradition or drawing conclusions from the ownership of the estate by his distant cousins of Peckstreet House.

Sir George Huntley sold the borough of KING'S STANLEY in 1617 to William Clutterbuck (fn. 84) of King's Stanley (d. 1655). It presumably passed to William's son Thomas (d. 1666), (fn. 85) and in 1675 it was held by Thomas's sister Elizabeth (d. 1682) and her husband Robert Oldisworth of Wotton-underEdge. (fn. 86) In 1695 William Clutterbuck of Rodborough, clothier, perhaps Thomas's son, sold the borough to his mortgagee Elizabeth Browning; (fn. 87) it then consisted of the lordship and £27 11s. 7d. in reserved rents. (fn. 88) Elizabeth settled it on her grandson John Baker Bridges Dpwell (fn. 89) (d. 1743), who devised it to the Revd. Staunton Degge (fn. 90) of Over, in Almondsbury. Staunton Degge sold the borough in 1753 to Samuel Paul of Rodborough, clothier, (fn. 91) who held it in 1767. (fn. 92) By c. 1775 it had passed to Nathaniel Peach, (fn. 93) and in 1801 it was held by Mary Paul, a widow, and Samuel Wathen of Woodchester, presumably the Sir Samuel Wathen who held it in 1822 (fn. 94) and died in 1835. (fn. 95) Sir Samuel settled the borough on Sir Paul Baghott (formerly Wathen), (fn. 96) who apparently sold his interest in 1834 to Thomas Lediard, who was lord of the borough in 1837. By 1845 the borough had passed to Joseph King, (fn. 97) and his trustees held it in 1856. (fn. 98) By 1863 the lordship had been acquired by Samuel Stephens Marling of Stanley Park, with which it thereafter descended. (fn. 99)

In 1309 Aumary le Despenser granted a messuage and 24 a. to Stephen Marshal of Oldberrow, (fn. 1) who granted the estate in 1314 to William Marshal of Oldberrow. (fn. 2) Amice of Oldberrow who was assessed for tax at King's Stanley in 1327 was perhaps William's widow, (fn. 3) and in 1334 his son William received seisin on coming of age. (fn. 4) William Marshal granted the estate in 1369 to Hugh Twissell (fn. 5) (d. 1381). (fn. 6) John Twissell died seised of the estate in 1454, (fn. 7) and it then passed to successive sons John (d. 1471), (fn. 8) Robert (d. 1501), (fn. 9) and George (d. 1534). (fn. 10) George's son Edward (fn. 11) in 1548 made a grant of the estate, said to comprise a capital messuage and 60 a. to the lessee, Thomas Winston of Randwick, but was later disputing it with Winston. (fn. 12) In 1552 Edward granted the estate to Joan Wilkinson, (fn. 13) to whom Thomas Winston granted his claim in 1555. (fn. 14) Joan was dead by 1558 when the estate was divided among coheirs, (fn. 15) two of whom, Ralph Coley and Ralph Hetherington, granted their shares in 1562 and 1564 respectively to a third, Jane wife of Michael Locke. (fn. 16) In 1564 Jane and her husband granted the estate to Richard Clutterbuck (d. 1591), (fn. 17) and it was presumably represented by the 5 messuages and 34 a. owned by Richard's son, Thomas, at his death in 1614. The estate then passed to Thomas's son, William Clutterbuck, (fn. 18) who bought the borough of King's Stanley (fn. 19) in 1617, but it is not known whether it passed to William's heirs. A customary tenement called Blakeford, comprising a messuage and ½ yardland, which was also held by George Twissell at his death in 1534, (fn. 20) later passed to Richard Selwyn from whom it was bought in 1612 by Jasper Clutterbuck of Stanley House. (fn. 21)

About 1306 Aumary le Despenser granted an estate, later known as NOTELYNS PLACE, to John Notelyn and Joan his wife, (fn. 22) and John Notelyn had the highest tax assessment in King's Stanley in 1327. (fn. 23) Joan, the widow of John Notelyn, died c. 1340 when a messuage, then ruinous, and 64 a. passed to her son John. (fn. 24) John Notelyn died in 1361, (fn. 25) and his son John in 1377 (fn. 26) when the estate passed to Hugh Notelyn (d. 1432). Hugh's son John (fn. 27) held the estate until his death in 1442 (fn. 28) when it was granted to John's widow Joan during the minority of his son John. (fn. 29) John Notelyn died in 1450 still a minor and was succeeded by his cousin Joan, the wife of John Lynnet. (fn. 30) John Lynnet died in 1501 when his heir was his son Richard. (fn. 31) In 1548 Thomas Lynnet had licence to grant lands in King's Stanley to Nicholas Rogers, (fn. 32) and Thomas Rogers held Notelyns Place and another house and estate called Jemettes Place, which he had purchased, at his death in 1638; Thomas's heir was his son Thomas. (fn. 33)

Jemettes Place, and perhaps also Notelyns Place, later formed part of the estate known as STANLEY PARK in the east part of the parish. (fn. 34) In 1686 the estate, with Pen Wood and other lands, was owned by John Jeffreys, who was dead by 1688 when it passed to his nephew, also John Jeffreys. The nephew or an heir of the same name leased it in 1739 to Thomas Pettat, who bought it in 1746. In 1759 Thomas Pettat settled 165 a. on the marriage of his son Thomas. (fn. 35) Thomas the son mortgaged the estate in 1782 to his brother-in-law Sir George Onesiphorus Paul, Bt., (fn. 36) the prison reformer, who was one of the assignees of the estate on Pettat's bankruptcy as a clothier in 1786 and became the owner in 1797. (fn. 37) Sir George sold c. 100 a. of the estate in 1799 to Henry Burgh. (fn. 38) Henry Burgh was succeeded at his death in 1848 by his son Edward (fn. 39) who sold the estate in 1849 to Joseph Watts, his father's mortgagee since 1823, and Watts sold it in 1850 to Samuel Stephens Marling, (fn. 40) the millowner. (fn. 41) Another part of the estate, 84 a. including Pen Wood, was retained by Sir George Onesiphorus Paul and passed on his death in 1820 to his nephew Robert Snow Paul. Robert Paul conveyed it in 1847 to Sir John Dean Paul, Bt. (d. 1852), whose son Sir John sold it in 1853 to Samuel Marling. (fn. 42) Samuel Marling, who purchased a number of other estates in King's Stanley before 1872, (fn. 43) was created a baronet in 1882 and died in 1883. His estates passed to his son Sir William Henry Marling (d. 1919), and to Sir William's son, Col. Sir Percival Scrope Marling, V.C. (d. 1936). (fn. 44) Sir Percival's widow, Beatrice, held the estates until her death in 1941, when they passed to her nephew, Sir John Stanley Vincent Marling. (fn. 45) The land was sold to the various farmers in 1952. (fn. 46)

The house at Stanley Park incorporates part of a rough-cast wall with the date 1584 and stonemullioned windows with dripmoulds, which may represent the Jemettes Place mentioned in 1638; (fn. 47) a close called Gemmetts on the south-east of the house belonged to the estate in the 18th century. (fn. 48) The house on the site in 1749 was called 'Thomas Pettat's great house'. (fn. 49) It was largely rebuilt in 1850 in the Tudor style by Samuel Marling, who added an extension on the north in 1870. (fn. 50) The interior included both Tudor and Gothic details liberally ornamented with the Marling arms and the initials of members of the family. The family lived at the house until c. 1947 when Sir John Marling began its conversion into flats, and in 1952 it was sold to Cretra Investments Ltd. who were completing the conversion in 1967. (fn. 51) A stable-block in Cotswold style was built south-west of the house by John Jeffreys in 1692; (fn. 52) it incorporates a cross-gabled dovecot and a cottage. An extension was made on the north by Samuel Marling in 1872, (fn. 53) and in 1967 the stable-block also was leased as flats.

An estate centred on STANLEY HOUSE and Stanley Mill was owned for two hundred years by the Clutterbucks, a family of clothiers. In 1579 Richard Clutterbuck (d. 1591) bought the mill and lands from Richard Harmer. (fn. 54) Richard Clutterbuck's heirs by his first wife Joan inherited his estate formerly belonging to the Twissells and later became lords of the borough; (fn. 55) the mill and Stanley House, then known as Giles Mill and Giles Meese, passed to Jasper Clutterbuck, Richard's son by his second wife Elizabeth. By small purchases of land made from 1605 onwards Jasper (d. 1627) built up a considerable estate at King's Stanley. (fn. 56) Part of it including c. 80 a. passed to Jasper's second son Richard (d. 1670), who sold it to Daniel Lysons, but it reverted to the Clutterbucks of Stanley House in 1707 when Daniel's son, Daniel, sold it to Thomas Clutterbuck. (fn. 57) The mill and another part of the estate passed on Jasper Clutterbuck's death in 1627 to his widow Margaret, but in 1629 she made them over to his eldest son John (fn. 58) (d. 1680), who was succeeded by his son Thomas Clutterbuck (d. 1696). Thomas's son Jasper died a few months after his father, and the mill and part of the estate passed to Jasper's widow Catherine, who married William Payne. (fn. 59) The remainder of the estate passed to Jasper's son, Thomas Clutterbuck (fn. 60) (d. by 1717), and then, with the land bought from Daniel Lysons, to Thomas's brother Jasper, (fn. 61) who had apparently succeeded to his mother's portion of the estate by 1735, (fn. 62) and died in 1752. Jasper's son Jasper succeeded and died in 1782.

Stanley House, Stanley Mill, and a part of the lands passed to Jasper's daughter Sarah and her husband, John Hawker of Dudbridge, who together sold them in 1783 to John Holbrow of Uley. (fn. 63) After Holbrow's death in 1790 the estate was apparently held by his wife Elizabeth (d. 1793), and then reverted to John Hawker, who sold it in 1802 to Nathaniel Peach Wathen. Wathen sold the estate in 1808 to Joseph Wathen, (fn. 64) who sold Stanley Mill in 1813 to George Harris and Donald Maclean, whose partnet, Charles Stephens, sold the mill in 1842 to Nathaniel Samuel Marling. (fn. 65) Joseph Wathen sold Stanley House and c. 25 a. in 1820 to Donald Maclean, from whom William Marmont bought them in 1839. Marmont sold the house and land in 1841 to Nathaniel Marling, (fn. 66) who in 1854 sold Stanley House, Stanley Mill, and the land to his brother, Samuel Marling of Stanley Park. (fn. 67)

The building of Stanley House was apparently begun by Richard Clutterbuck and completed in 1593 after his death. (fn. 68) It comprises a single rectangular stone block of two stories and attics with three gables at the front. Sash windows were added in the 18th century, and the gables have small roundheaded lights; one of the original stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds survives in a gable at the rear. Stanley House was the home of William Henry Marling from 1861 or earlier to c. 1885 when he moved to Stanley Park. (fn. 69) In 1927 the house was bought by Mr. A. G. C. Gibson, the owner and occupier in 1967. (fn. 70) An ornate late-18th- or early19th-century Gothic stone stable-block on the north of the house was being restored by the Midlands Electricity Board in 1968 for use as offices. (fn. 71)

Another part of the estates of Jasper Clutterbuck (d. 1782), known as REDHILL FARM and including most of the land which had been owned for a time by the Lysons family, later became divided between Sarah and John Hawker, and Jasper's other daughter Martha and her husband William Read. The Reads' share was bought in 1807 by Thomas Gray who acquired the other moiety from Richard Hawker, son of Sarah and John, in 1809. Thomas Gray died in 1835, and his wife Maria (fn. 72) was presumably the Mary Gray who held Redhill Farm and 66 a. in 1838. (fn. 73) Maria died in 1852, and was succeeded by her grandson, John Charles Conolly, who by will proved 1855 devised Redhill Farm to his brother Thomas Richard Conolly. Thomas Conolly sold the estate in 1867 to Samuel Marling of Stanley Park. (fn. 74) The house, recorded from 1707, (fn. 75) is a Cotswold-style stone farm-house.

An estate centred on PECKSTREET HOUSE (sometimes called Peckstreet Farm) east of King's Stanley village was held from the early 17th century by another branch of the Clutterbuck family. (fn. 76) The house was apparently built in 1636 by Richard Clutterbuck (d. 1677), (fn. 77) and his son Richard was said to have a good house and estate there c. 1710. (fn. 78) The second Richard died in 1714, and the estate passed to successive sons, Richard (d. 1718), Richard (d. 1778), (fn. 79) and James (d. 1786). On James's death it passed to his brother Thomas (fn. 80) (d. 1814), and then reverted to James's son John (fn. 81) (d. 1839). The estate, which amounted to 68 a., was held by John's widow Mary until her death in 1855, (fn. 82) and her grandson Richard Clutterbuck sold it in 1871 to Samuel Marling of Stanley Park. (fn. 83) The house, which stood east of Peckstreet not far from the surviving farmhouse, (fn. 84) had 4 hearths in 1672. (fn. 85) It was a fair-sized Cotswold-style house with gables, stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds, and chimneys with moulded stone caps. (fn. 86) In 1896 it was said to have been long uninhabited, (fn. 87) and it had been pulled downby 1924. (fn. 88)

Another house, also called PECKSTREET HOUSE, standing to the north-west of the Clutterbuck's house, was held as copyhold by Richard Selwyn, clothier, in 1610. In that year Sir George Huntley, lord of the manor, sold the freehold to Thomas and Giles Parry who sold it a few months later to William Selwyn, apparently Richard's son. (fn. 89) William's son William held the house in 1679, (fn. 90) and in 1684 William and Jasper Selwyn of Broadwell sold the house and 41 a. to Nathaniel Paul. By 1700 the estate had apparently passed to Nathaniel's son John, and in 1733 John's widow Holman released it to John's brother Nathaniel Paul, (fn. 91) who may have occupied it earlier. (fn. 92) On Nathaniel's death in 1737 it passed to his son Onesiphorus Paul (d. 1770), (fn. 93) and then to Onesiphorus's brother, Obadiah Paul of Rodborough who died in 1792. (fn. 94) The estate was then held briefly by Obadiah's niece Anne Pierce and by her son Obadiah Paul Pierce, who was dead by 1793 when it had passed to his sisters Sarah and Anne. Sarah sold her share to Anne and the estate was settled on Anne's marriage to James Denison in 1797. In 1829 James and Anne mortgaged it to William Marmont. (fn. 95) Although Marmont was regarded as the owner in 1839, (fn. 96) James and William Denison, the sons of James and Anne, made a conveyance of the estate to him in 1842. (fn. 97) Marmont died in 1862, (fn. 98) and in 1872 the Peckstreet estate was purchased from his trustees by Samuel Marling of Stanley Park. (fn. 99) The house is a 17th-century stone farm-house faced in rough-cast with gables and stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds. An adjoining house called the Puckhouse was sold with Peckstreet House in 1610, but had apparently been pulled down by 1684. (fn. 1)

An estate at Selsley, later called PICKED ELM FARM, was owned by John Wathen in 1737 when he settled it on the marriage of his son John. (fn. 2) The younger John was apparently the one that died in 1744, and the elder the John Wathen that died in 1752. (fn. 3) In 1765 the estate was settled on the marriage of Thomas Wathen, the son of the younger John. (fn. 4) Thomas Wathen or another of the same name died in 1819, when his heirs were his daughter Anne, who married Sir Paul Baghott, and his grandson Samuel Edwards. (fn. 5) By 1839 Picked Elm Farm with 52 a. had passed to David Powell Sands, (fn. 6) and in 1890 Mrs. Mary Sands sold the estate to Charles Pool (d. 1903). Charles Pool was succeeded by his two sisters, Beata Prout and Elizabeth Pool, who devised their shares of the estate before 1907 to Beata's son, J. C. P. Prout, who sold it in 1918 to Sir William Henry Marling of Stanley Park. (fn. 7) The house, dated 1632, (fn. 8) is of stone with gables, stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds, and a stone chimney with a decorated cap.

An estate of 54 a., including BOROUGH HOUSE FARM south-west of King's Stanley village, was put up for sale in 1791. (fn. 9) The estate was owned in 1839 by John Pegler. (fn. 10) By 1885 it had been acquired by the Marlings of Stanley Park, (fn. 11) and Sir Percival Marling sold it c. 1920 to the farmer, Mr. J. H. P. Camm. Mr. Camm, who owned and occupied the house in 1967, sold the land in 1952 to Mr. E. P. Malpass of Old Castle House. (fn. 12) Borough House Farm is a late-17th-century stone house of two stories and attics; it has stone-mullioned windows with dripmoulds and the front has three gables with blind oval windows. (fn. 13)

A house called the PIGEON HOUSE and an estate were acquired by Daniel Fowler, a clothier, in the mid 17th century. Daniel's son Daniel owned the estate in 1681, and his grandson, also Daniel Fowler, sold the house and c. 35 a. to Thomas Shurmer in 1726. (fn. 14) By 1751 the house had passed to the Rimmingtons, owners of the Oil Mill at Ebley, who evidently still owned it in 1785. (fn. 15) By 1790 the Pigeon House was owned by Thomas Clutterbuck of Peckstreet House, (fn. 16) and it had presumably been destroyed by 1839 when Mary Clutterbuck owned an empty close called the Pigeon House Orchard west of the Baptist chapel at Middle Yard. (fn. 17) It was perhaps the house with 7 hearths occupied by Daniel Fowler in 1672, (fn. 18) and it was described as a large house in 1790. (fn. 19)

Footnotes

19 Dom. Bk. (Rec. Com.), i. 169v.
20 Trans. B.G.A.S. xiii. 319-20.
21 Ibid. lvii. 70.
22 Pipe R. 1160 (P.R.S. ii), 29, and later rolls.
23 Rot. Chart. (Rec. Com.), 126.
24 Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), i. 240.
25 Ibid. 282.
26 Eyre Rolls, 1221-2 (Selden Soc. xxxii), 102-3; Rot. Litt. Claus. (Rec. Com.), ii. 213.
27 Cal. Chart. R. 1226-57, 89.
28 Close R. 1227-31, 329.
29 Bk. of Fees, i. 439.
30 Cal. Chart. R. 1226-57, 414.
31 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1236-1300, 169.
32 Close R. 1264-8, 43.
33 Abbrev. Plac. (Rec. Com.), 194.
34 Cal. Inq. p. m. iii, pp. 157-8.
35 Feud. Aids, ii. 257.
36 Select Cases in King's Bench (Selden Soc. lxxvi), p. lxxi n; C 143/92/21.
37 Cal. Fine R. 1307-19, 160.
38 Cal. Pat. 1313-17, 272; Feud. Aids, ii. 266.
39 Trans. B.G.A.S. xx. 239; Cal. Fine R. 1319-27, 96.
40 Cal Close, 1318-23, 651-2.
41 Cal. Inq. p.m. vii, p. 49.
42 S.C. 6/1119/1.
43 C.P. 25(1)/286/36/67; cf. below, p. 273.
44 Cal. Pat. 1334-8, 563; Cal. Inq. p.m. ix, p. 28.
45 Cal. Close, 1349-54, 313; cf. below, p. 273.
46 Cal. Inq. p.m. xi, p. 454.
47 Cal. Close, 1364-8, 9; Cal. Inq. p.m. xiv, p. 189.
48 Cal. Close, 1374-7, 184.
49 Complete Peerage, i. 253; Cal. Pat. 1377-81, 538.
50 Cal. Close, 1392-6, 57.
51 Cal. Fine R. 1405-13, 112-13.
52 Complete Peerage, i. 247.
53 C 139/162/29; see below, p. 274.
54 C 139/88/50.
55 Complete Peerage, i. 247-52.
56 S.C. 12/33/10.
57 Cal. Pat. 1560-3, 44; cf. E 310/14/51 f. 7; E 310/14/53 f. 51.
58 Glos. R.O., D 340A/T 87.
59 Ibid. D 873/T 1.
60 See below.
61 Glos. Colln. deeds 177.46; C.P. 25(2)/421/7 Chas. I Mich./38.
62 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1625-42, i. 212-15.
63 For the Ducies see Burke, Peerage (1956), 684-5.
64 Atkyns, Glos. 681.
65 Glos. R.O., D 340A/M 8.
66 Rudder, Glos. 682.
67 Glos. R.O., Q/REl 1, 1792.
68 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award.
69 Glos. R.O., D 873, borough rentals.
70 Burke, Land. Gent. (1898), 884; Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856 and later edns.).
71 Ex inf. Mr. Fletcher.
72 Ex inf. Mr. Malpass.
73 Ex inf. Mr. Evans.
74 Bodl. MS. Rawl. B.323, f. 208; see above.
75 Cal. Inq. p.m. iii, pp. 157-8; S.C. 11/245-6.
76 See p. 253.
77 Glos. R.O., D 873, borough rentals.
78 Ibid. 1751, undated c. 1750; P 190/OV 2/6, 1753 rate; see below.
79 Taylor, Map of Glos. (1777).
80 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 8.
81 Glos. R.O., Q/REl 1, 1792, 1793; D 873, borough rental, 1795; D 1011/P 19.
82 See plate facing p. 207.
83 Clutterbuck Diary, 7; Glos. N. & Q. v. 459.
84 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 2.
85 Glos. N. & Q. v. 387-8.
86 Glos. R.O., D 149/M 17; Glos. N. & Q. v. 387; Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 312.
87 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 8; Glos. N. & Q. v. 388.
88 Glos. R.O., D 873, borough rentals.
89 Ibid. T 8.
90 Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 248.
91 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 8.
92 Ibid. borough rentals.
93 Rudder, Glos. 684.
94 Glos. R.O., D 873, borough ct. rolls.
95 Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 248.
96 Glos. N. & Q. i. 173.
97 Ibid.; Glos. R.O., D 873, borough ct. rolls.
98 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856), 316.
99 Ibid. (1863), 299; see below.
1 Cal. Pat. 1307-13, 160.
2 Ibid. 1313-17, 161.
3 Glos. Subsidy Roll, 1327, 50.
4 Cal. Inq. p.m. vii, pp. 47-48; Cal. Close, 1333-7, 266.
5 Cal. Pat. 1367-70, 272.
6 C 136/34(4)/76.
7 C 139/152/2.
8 C 140/36/19.
9 Cal. Inq. p.m. Hen. VII, ii, p. 318.
10 C 142/56/21.
11 L. & P. Hen. VIII, xv, p. 169, which gives Edward's grandfather as Edward instead of Robert.
12 Cal. Pat. 1547-8, 278; Sta. Cha. 2/26/78.
13 Cal. Pat. 1550-3,417.
14 C.P. 25(2)/71/587/49.
15 Cal. Pat. 1558-60, 138.
16 Ibid. 1560-3, 397; 1563-6, p. 4.
17 Ibid. 1563-6, p. 130.
18 Glos. N. & Q. v. 383-7; C 142/343/169.
19 See above.
20 Trans. B.G.A.S. xlvi. 112.
21 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1625-42, iii. 20; see below.
22 Cal. Pat. 1301-7, 442.
23 Glos. Subsidy Roll, 1327, 50.
24 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1302-58, 280.
25 Cal. Inq. p.m. xi, p. 304.
26 C 136/2(15)/27.
27 Cal. Fine R. 1377-88, 99; C 139/53/7.
28 C 139/108/8.
29 Cal. Fine R. 1437-45, 256.
30 C 139/141/6.
31 C 142/15/39.
32 Cal. Pat. 1547-8, 335.
33 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1625-42, iii. 130-1.
34 Ibid.; cf. Glos. R.O., D 873/T 52, marriage settlement, 1759.
35 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 52.
36 Ibid. T 54.
37 Ibid. T 52; see below, p. 282.
38 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 54.
39 Ibid. D 873/T 55A.
40 Ibid. T 54.
41 See p. 280.
42 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 16.
43 See below.
44 For his career see P. Marling, Rifleman and Hussar (1931).
45 Burke, Peerage (1956), 1460; Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856 and later edns.).
46 Sale cat. penes the owner of Redhill Farm; local information.
47 See above.
48 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 52; cf. T 54.
49 Ibid. borough rental.
50 Dates on bldg.
51 Ex inf. Mr. Collins of Cretra Investments Ltd.
52 Date and inits. on weather-vane.
53 Date on bldg.
54 C.P. 25(2)/143/1838/14; Glos. N. &. Q v. 383, in an article on the Clutterbuck family by Robert H. Clutterbuck, on which the account given here is largely based.
55 See above.
56 Inq. p.m. Glos. 1625-42, iii. 19-26. For the Stanley House branch of the Clutterbucks see Glos. N. & Q. v. 455-8.
57 Glos. R.O., D 1347, deeds of Clutterbuck fam. 1637- 1720.
58 Glos. Colln. deeds 177.25.
59 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 51; ibid. borough rental, 1749.
60 Atkyns, Glos. 681; Glos. R.O., D 182/111/123.
61 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 6.
62 Ibid. P 190/OV 2/4.
63 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 51.
64 Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 248; Glos. R.O., D 873/T 51.
65 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 56-57.
66 Ibid. T 55.
67 Ibid. T 55, T 57; cf. above.
68 The initials of Richard and his wife Elizabeth, his cloth-mark, and the date appear on the front of the house.
69 Marling, Rifleman and Hussar, 1; Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1863 and later edns.).
70 Ex inf. Mr. Gibson.
71 Local information.
72 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 22.
73 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award.
74 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 22; see above.
75 Ibid. P 190/OV 2/2.
76 Glos. N. & Q. vi. 13-16.
77 The house had the initials R.C. and the date over the door: Glos. N. & Q. vi. 13.
78 Atkyns, Glos. 681-2.
79 Rudder, Glos. 684.
80 Glouc. Jnl. 22 Feb. 1790.
81 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 3.
82 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award; Glos. R.O., D 873, borough rentals, 1846, 1854.
83 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 3; cf. above.
84 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award.
85 E 179/247/14 rot. 51.
86 Glos. N. & Q. v, sketch facing p. 383.
87 Ibid. vi. 13.
88 M. E. N. Witchell and C. R. Hudleston, Family of Clutterbuck (Glouc. 1924), 94.
89 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 1.
90 Ibid. P 190/OV 2/1; Visit. Glos. 1682-3, 160.
91 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 1.
92 Cf. Hockaday Abs. cccxlvii, 1726.
93 Glos. R.O., D 182/111/123; cf. ibid. D 873/T 1; Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 248.
94 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 4; cf. T 1.
95 Ibid. T 4.
96 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award; see above.
97 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 4.
98 Ibid. T 28.
99 Ibid. T 4; cf. above.
1 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 1.
2 Ibid. T 9.
3 Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 248.
4 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 9.
5 Ibid. T 25.
6 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award.
7 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 25; cf. above.
8 The date and initials J.W.S.(or Z?) appear in the porch.
9 Glouc. Fnl. 20 June 1791.
10 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award.
11 Glos. R.O., D 873/T 35/1.
12 Ex inf. Mr. Camm.
13 See plate facing p. 245.
14 Glos. Colln. deeds 177. 33, 45.
15 Glos. R.O., P 190/OV 2/6; Glouc. Fnl. 26 Dec. 1785; cf. below, p. 282.
16 Glouc. Fnl. 22 Feb. 1790; see above.
17 G.D.R. King's Stanley tithe award; cf. Glos. R.O., D 873/T 5, mortgage of 1830.
18 E 179/247/14 rot. 50.
19 Glouc. Jnl. 22 Feb. 1790.