CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
of George Thompson's and Leonard Wilmot's
charities (fn. 25) was represented in the late 18th century and early 19th by 'dole money' of £1 os.
8d., paid irregularly from Bampton churchwardens' account and distributed in bread. In 1819
seven years' arrears were distributed in cheap
coal, and in 1824 the Charity Commissioners
ruled that regular payment should be made from
Bampton's charity account. (fn. 26) Robert Jeeves, by
will proved 1703, left £5 to benefit poor labourers of Lew, (fn. 27) and Thomas Horde, by will proved
1716, left £10 for apprenticing two boys or
girls, (fn. 28) but though the Horde bequest was applied in the earlier 18th century (fn. 29) both charities
were lost by the early 19th.
Under a Scheme of 1888 Lew's charities became part of Bampton Consolidated Charities,
which in 1969 distributed c. £6 in Lew. In 1972
they became part of the Bampton Welfare
Trust. (fn. 30)
||Above, Bampton and Weald, charities.
Char. Don. 968-9; 10th Rep. Com. Char. 354.
||O.R.O., MS. Wills Oxon. 38/2/25.
||P.R.O., PROB 11/551, f. 253.
||O.R.O., MS. d.d. Par. Bampton b II, indenture 29
||O.R.C.C., Kimber files; above, Bampton and Weald,