Warminster
Roman catholicism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Elizabeth Crittall (Editor)

Year published

1965

Supporting documents

Page

124

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Warminster: Roman catholicism', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 8: Warminster, Westbury and Whorwellsdown Hundreds (1965), pp. 124. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16089 Date accessed: 30 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

One papist, an apothecary, lived in Warminster in 1783. (fn. 5) No permanent mass centre was founded in the town until 1922 when the church of St. George was built on Boreham Road. (fn. 6) This was then served from Frome for some years. (fn. 7) In 1938 a presbytery was added to the church. (fn. 8)

Footnotes

5 Sar. Dioc. R.O. Vis. Queries, 1783.
6 Kelly's Dir. Wilts. (1939).
7 V.C.H. Wilts. iii. 97.
8 Kelly's Dir. Wilts. (1939).