Eyton upon the Weald Moors
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

G C Baugh, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, D C Cox, Jessie McFall, P A Stamper, A J L Winchester

Year published

1985

Supporting documents

Page

145

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Eyton upon the Weald Moors: Education', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 145. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18104 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

Eyton Council School originated as an unendowed day school supported by the lords of the manor. It was mentioned in 1818 (fn. 57) and had been founded by Thomas Eyton (d. 1816), probably after 1799. (fn. 58) There were 20 boys and girls in 1833 (fn. 59) and 27 in 1859. (fn. 60) Pupils paid 1d. to 3d. a week, according to their place of residence and parental circumstances; remaining costs were met by the Eyton family. (fn. 61) Control of the school passed to Wellington school board in 1894. Between 1894 and 1907 numbers on the register fluctuated between 35 and 50 (fn. 62) but had dropped to 20 by 1946, when seniors transferred to Wellington Modern School. (fn. 63) In 1958 the school closed, the 10 pupils transferring to other schools. (fn. 64)

The school served a wider area than the parish: it had been founded for the children of cottage tenants on the Eyton estate (fn. 65) and in the later 19th century contained pupils from the hamlets of Bratton and Long Lane (in Wrockwardine) and Wappenshall (in Wellington). (fn. 66) Its character seems to have changed little by 1956, when 16 of the 19 children on the roll came from hamlets on the Eyton estate and the high proportion of farm labourers' children in the school resulted in a quick turnover of pupils. (fn. 67)

In 1838 the school was housed in a small cottage, since demolished, west of the village. (fn. 68) In 1859 it moved to a timber-framed house, formerly a farm, on the village street; (fn. 69) a new classroom was added in 1898. (fn. 70) After closure the building became two private dwellings.

Footnotes

57 Digest Educ. Poor, H.C. 224, p. 767 (1819), ix (2).
58 P.R.O., ED 7/102, f. 295. No sch. was mentioned in 1799: S.R.O. 3916/1/1.
59 Educ. Enq. Abstract, H.C. 62, p. 774 (1835), xlii.
60 P.R.O., ED 7/102, f. 291.
61 Ibid. ff. 291, 295.
62 S.R.O. 559/XXIV/19/2; 665/1/5834.
63 S.R.O. 916/9, p. 5.
64 Ibid. p. 85; S.C.C. Mins. (Educ.) 1958-9, 45, 102.
65 P.O. Dir. Salop. (1856), 53.
66 P.R.O., ED 7/102, f. 291; S.R.O. 665/1/5834.
67 S.R.O. 916/9.
68 S.R.O. 746/4; 2009/1. The bldg. stood at O.S. Nat. Grid SJ 6505 1473.
69 P.R.O., ED 7/102, f. 291.
70 S.R.O. 665/1/5834.