Lilleshall
Serbian Orthodoxy

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

G C Baugh, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, D C Cox, Jessie McFall, P A Stamper, A J L Winchester

Year published

1985

Supporting documents

Page

174

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Lilleshall: Serbian Orthodoxy', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 174. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18117 Date accessed: 01 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

SERBIAN ORTHODOXY.

A church dedicated to St. Nicholas opened c. 1949 in the former Roman Catholic church at Donnington. (fn. 22) In 1968 some members, having seceded for reasons of Yugoslav politics, (fn. 23) registered another church in the former Wellington Road Methodist church. (fn. 24) In the 1970s services at the latter, also dedicated to St. Nicholas, were held monthly and attracted a large congregation. At Easter some of the worshippers would attend in national costume. (fn. 25)

Footnotes

22 Frost, op. cit. 31 (giving 1945 as the opening date).
23 Local inf.
24 G.R.O., Worship Reg. no. 71344.
25 Inf. from Mrs. R. M. Davies.