CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Leveson (d. 1661) left a £5 rent charge for annual
doles. (fn. 90) In the mid 19th century it became customary to distribute most of it in Donnington
Wood and the rest in St. George's. (fn. 91) In 1919 the
income was merged with that of the Lilleshall
share of the Foxley Charity. (fn. 92)
Sir Richard Leveson's widow Katherine (d.
1674) left £120 a year out of Foxley manor
(Northants.) to provide twelve life pensions for
widows, three of whom were to be Lilleshall
parishioners. Each was to wear a gown with the
initials K L on the breast; by 1821 that was no
longer done in Lilleshall. Katherine also left £100
a year out of Foxley for apprenticing ten boys
annually, two of them to be sons of Lilleshall
parishioners. In 1876 the widows' pensions were
raised to £20 and eligibility was extended, failing
suitable widows, to other poor. The apprenticeships were raised to £30 and the Foxley Charity's objects were extended to include scholarships
and grants to school leavers. (fn. 93) Lilleshall's annual
share was £102 in 1975.
Katherine Leveson's will provided for the
foundation of a hospital for 20 women at Temple
Balsall (Warws.). If there were any vacancies after
Balsall's needs were met, they were to be filled
from other named places, among them Lilleshall
parish. (fn. 94) In 1861 Lilleshall's contingent benefit
became a permanent one of four weekly pensions
of 8s. for female parishioners. (fn. 95) In 1975 Lilleshall's annual share was £21.
Mrs. Rebecca Walthall, by will proved 1756,
left the interest on £10 to be distributed in
Muxton. In the 1780s the annual interest was
10s. (fn. 96) By 1884 the annual interest, 5s. 6d., was
divided between two Muxton widows. (fn. 97) The income was £2 in 1975.
A charity was established in 1888 under the will
of William Slaney Lewis, who left £200 stock to
provide blankets and clothing for widows in St.
George's ecclesiastical district. In 1975 the income was £5.
By will proved 1894 St. John Tipton left £200
stock, the income to be distributed in St. George's
parish in clothing or other necessaries. (fn. 98) The
income in 1975 was £5.
C. C. Walker, by will proved 1897, gave £500
stock for the sick poor of Lilleshall civil parish. (fn. 99)
The income was £11 a year in 1975.
By will proved 1944 Mrs. Edith Emily Todd
left stock for pensions in certain parishes,
among them Lilleshall ecclesiastical parish. In
1947 the Lilleshall share was vested in the Todd
Trust (Lilleshall) Ltd., which in 1969-70 paid 25
pensions of 10s. a week. (fn. 1) The annual income in
1975 was £1,024.
By 1634 sums were occasionally contributed to
the parochial poor's stock, which amounted to £57
by 1726. By 1757 only two sums remained: £15
producing 12s. a year then but nothing after
1800, and a £20 legacy of Thomas Winshurst (will
proved 1673), producing 16s. a year then (fn. 2) but
nothing after 1788. Both were lost by 1821.