In 1284 or 1285 the
abbot of Buildwas claimed the right to hold courts
at Stirchley. (fn. 4) The pleas and perquisites of the
abbot's court there were valued at 6s. 8d. in 1291 (fn. 5)
but no court records survive. No courts were held
at the time of the Dissolution. (fn. 6) Buildwas abbey
withdrew Stirchley's suit from Bradford hundred
court on acquiring the manor c. 1243 (fn. 7) but by 1590
Stirchley was again making suit to the hundred
court. In that year it was presented for not using
the pillory and for having no lock on the pound or
stocks. (fn. 8) In 1612 the tenant of Stirchley Hall,
considered in the 15th and 16th centuries to
be a member of Dawley manor, owed suit to the
manor court of Great Dawley when he was
summoned. (fn. 9)
The parish had two churchwardens in 1612 but
only one in the later 18th century. (fn. 10) The appointment of an overseer was recorded from 1766. In
the 19th century the number of unpaid parish
officials increased, two overseers being appointed
annually from 1837 and a road surveyor from
1839. The offices were filled largely by the small
group of tenant farmers on whom the bulk of the
rates were levied. For most of the 19th century
the day-to-day administration of parish affairs fell
to a salaried official. From 1814 to 1823 Edward
Blocksidge of Dawley held the combined posts of
overseer, churchwarden, and surveyor at an
annual salary of £14. Blocksidge's appointment
ended in 1823; in 1838 a new salaried post of
assistant overseer was created. (fn. 11)
Only a small number of poor families were
supported by the parish during the late 18th
century, no more than four paupers receiving a
full year's weekly pay in any one year between
1766 and 1800. The overseers also bought clothes,
medical treatment, and fuel for the poor and
assisted towards their payment of rent, and the
poor rate was occasionally used towards the upkeep of the parish roads. In 1785 a family of
children from Stirchley was lodged in Dawley
poorhouse. (fn. 12)
Stirchley was in Madeley poor-law union 1836-
1930. (fn. 13) The parish was a member of Wrekin
highway district 1863-81 but reverted to maintaining its own roads between 1881 and 1895
when it was placed in Shifnal rural district. (fn. 14) In
1934 the north-west side of the parish was transferred to Dawley urban district, to which the rest
of the parish was added in 1966. (fn. 15) Stirchley was
within the designated area of Dawley (from 1968
Telford) new town from 1963 and the district of
the Wrekin from 1974.
||Eyton, viii. 120; cf. Collect. Topog. et Geneal. i. 118.
Tax. Eccl. (Rec. Com.), 260.
||P.R.O., SC 6/Hen. VIII/3006, m. 8.
Rot. Hund. (Rec. Com.), ii. 57.
||P.R.O., SC 22/197/96; Staffs. R.O., D. 593/J/10, ct. r.
||S.R.O. 513, box 13, deed of 1612.
||L.J.R.O., B/V/6, Stirchley, 1612-1708; S.R.O. 1345/1.
||S.R.O. 1345/48, 60, 62.
V.C.H. Salop. iii. 169-70; Kelly's Dir. Salop. (1929), 4.
||S.R.O., q. sess. order bk. 1861-9, p. 127; Orders of Q.
Sess. iv. 252; S.R.O. 1345/60, 62; V.C.H. Salop. ii. 217.
V.C.H. Salop. ii. 217, 227 n.