Upper Beeding
Roman Catholicism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, C R J Currie, C R Elrington, S M Keeling, A M Rowland

Year published

1987

Supporting documents

Page

44

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Upper Beeding: Roman Catholicism', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3: Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) including Crawley New Town (1987), pp. 44. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18393 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

The large, bleak, castellated house called the Towers, built c. 1880 (fn. 38) in Henfield Road, was given c. 1903 to the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament and thereafter used as a convent school, at first for French girls, and later for English girls too. Services in the chapel were open to the public by 1907 and continued to be so in 1981. A new chapel was built in 1929. (fn. 39) There were 120 pupils in 1981. (fn. 40)

Footnotes

38 Nairn & Pevsner, Suss. 360.
39 E. E. Reynolds, Par. of Christ the King, Steyning (n.d.); B. W. Kelly, Hist. Notes on Eng. Cath. Missions, 72; local inf.
40 W. Suss. Gaz. 29 Oct. 1981.