Although no school existed in the
early 18th century, George Keith, rector 1705-16,
claimed that all the children in his parish could read
and write, evidently as a result of his own informal
instruction. (fn. 11) In 1758 the children of the poor were
kept at school by means of the offertory money, from
which 2s. a week was paid by one of the parish officers to the keeper of a dame school. (fn. 12) There were
two day schools, with 30 boys and girls in all, in
1819, supported by the rector and by parental contributions; the rector's attempts to unite them had
not been supported by the richer parishioners. A
winter evening school was then held, attended by c.
10 pupils, (fn. 13) and the rector also kept a school in the
rectory for his family and others. (fn. 14)
A new school was built in the modern Fulking
parish c. 1842, with help from Col. George Wyndham, lord of Truleigh manor. (fn. 15) Children from
Edburton continued to attend it after the division of
Sussex into separate administrative counties in 1889,
until its closure following the Hadow report in 1930,
when they were transferred to schools at Small Dole
in Upper Beeding and at Henfield. In 1958 juniors
went to school in Upper Beeding and seniors to
Steyning secondary modern school and Steyning
grammar school. (fn. 16)
||Howe, Edburton, 47.
||Lamb. Pal. Libr., 1134/5, ff. 105v.-106.
Educ. of Poor Digest, 957.
||Howe, Edburton, 50.
||W.S.R.O., PHA 718, 1045; cf. Kelly's Dir. Suss.
||Howe, Edburton, 31; W.S.R.O., Par. 78/25/9; inf.
from Mrs. Windus.