Ifield
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, C R J Currie, C R Elrington, S M Keeling, A M Rowland

Year published

1987

Supporting documents

Page

73

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Ifield: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3: Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) including Crawley New Town (1987), pp. 73. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18413 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

An unknown donor was reported in 1868 to have given an 11s. 6d. rent charge, spent on the general uses of the poor. No more is known of it. By will proved 1861 John Wood left £95 12s. 4d. stock, providing £2 17s. 4d. c. 1868 and £2 7s. 8d. in the 1960s, for the poor. It was given in bread in the 1860s; a Scheme of 1954 provided that the accumulated surplus, then £46, be invested, and permitted gifts in money or in kind. (fn. 42)

Footnotes

42 Char. Digest Suss. H.C. 433 (20), pp. 14-15 (1867-8), lii (2); Char. Com. Scheme, 5 Nov. 1954; Char. Com. files.


<--Previous:
Ifield:
Education
Next:-->
Crawley New Town