Taunton and Taunton Dean hundred, belonging to the bishops of
Winchester and located principally in the west of the county, comprised
the parishes of Angersleigh, West Bagborough, Bradford on Tone,
Cheddon Fitzpaine, Combe Florey, Corfe, Cothelstone, Heathfield,
Hillfarrance, Bishop's Hull, Kingston (St. Mary), Lydeard St. Lawrence, Norton
Fitzwarren, Nynehead, Oake, Orchard Portman, Otterford, Pitminster, Rimpton,
Ruishton, Staplegrove, Stoke St. Mary, Taunton (St. James's and St. Mary's),
Tolland, Trull, Wilton, and Withiel Florey. (fn. 1) The history of the hundred is at
present deferred but the history of Rimpton is given below because until the earlier
18th century it was considered to be part of Horethorne hundred (fn. 2) and because of
its remoteness from the remainder of Taunton hundred.
S.R.S. iii. 328-9.
The Subsidy of 1334, ed. R. E. Glasscock, 269; S.R.S.
xx. 188; Som. Protestation Returns, ed. Howard and Stoate,