List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

A F Wareham, A P M Wright

Year published

2002

Supporting documents

Pages

10-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10: Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (north-eastern Cambridgeshire) (2002), pp. X-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18764 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are offered to the National Monuments Record (N.M.R.) of English Heritage (whose copyright is acknowledged below) for supplying for reproduction in this volume copies of photographs, drawings, and other material in their possession; to the Cambridgeshire Collection at Cambridge City Library for similarly providing copies of photographs, postcards, and prints in their keeping; and to the Cambridge Antiquarian Society for the use of drawings by T. Relhan included in their collection.

PAGE
Fig. 1. The demolished Tudor Kirtling Hall from the south-east. From an engraving by J. Byrne, drawn by J. B. Thompson, after a sketch by R. Harraden, published in Beauties of England and Wales (1809) 66
Fig. 2. Bottisham: the Hall as rebuilt in the early 18th century, demolished c. 1800. From a watercolour at the present Hall. Photograph supplied by English Heritage. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 67/6765 202
Fig. 3. Bottisham Church. From an early 19th-century watercolour. Photograph supplied by English Heritage. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 67/6763 218
Fig. 4. Swaffham Prior House c. 1800. From a pen-and-wash drawing by T. Relhan in C.A.S. Collection 282
Fig. 5. Swaffham Prior: the two churches in ruin c. 1806. From an engraving, published in W. Byrne, Britannia Depicta, part II (1806), by Elizabeth Byrne after W. Alexander, F.S.A. Photograph supplied by English Heritage. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 69/6106 300
Fig. 6. Chippenham: the gardens, park, and village in 1712. From the central sheet of Lord Orford's estate map of 1712: C.R.O., 71/P 3 376
Fig. 7. Isleham: the demolished Hall in the 18th century. From an engraving, 1792, after C. Willingham. Copy supplied by the Cambridgeshire Collection 432
Fig. 8. Isleham: the former priory chapel. From an engraving by Basire, published in 1791. Copy supplied by the Cambridgeshire Collection 448
Fig. 9. Soham: the parish church from the north. From an engraving by Radfield, 1797, after A. P. Moore. Copy supplied by the Cambridgeshire Collection 540
PLATES BETWEEN PAGES 396 AND 397
1. Chippenham Park looking towards the Hall. Photograph, 1999. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/01514
2. Swaffham Bulbeck: a street at Commercial End in the early 20th century. From a photograph in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Swa. Ko 12798]
3. Snailwell Church. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27411
4. Kirtling Church: the Norman south doorway. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27450
5. Swaffham Prior: inside the west tower of St. Mary's church. Photograph, 1970. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 70/3117
6. Cherry Hinton Church: the 13th-century chancel. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/01533
7. Fordham Church: the 14th-century north chapel. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/30579
8. Soham Church: the 12th-century nave. Photograph, 1998, Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27445
9. Fordham Church: the chancel, as painted in 1904. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/30585
10. Isleham Church: the nave looking east. Photograph, 1954. Crown copyright. N.M.R. AA 54/520
11. Burwell Church: the 15th-century nave. Photograph by A. F. Kersting, 1953. H 7603
12. Landwade Church: the interior. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27352
13. Kirtling Church: the tomb of Edward, 1st Lord North (d. 1564). Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27452
14. Kirtling Church: the tomb of Roger, 2nd Lord North (d. 1600). Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27458
15. Isleham Church: the Peyton tombs in the south chapel. Photograph, 1969. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 69/298
16. Swaffham Prior: Baldwins manor house. Photograph, 1967. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 67/7708
17. Swaffham Bulbeck: Burgh Hall manor house. Photograph, 1968. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 68/5353
18. Fordham Abbey: the demolished 18th-century mansion. From an early 18th-century painting at the modern Fordham Abbey. Photograph, 2000. Crown copyright. English Heritage. BB 99/16149
19. Fen Ditton Hall. Photograph, 1968. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 68/5339
20. Chippenham Park: the south gateway of 1794. Photograph, 1999. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/61501
21. Fulbourn Manor: the south front. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27474
22. Quy Hall: the garden front. Photograph, 1969. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 69/8250
23. Anglesey Abbey: the north-west entrance front. From a photograph of 1926. Copy supplied by the Cambridgeshire Record Office: C.R.O. 297/SP 32
24. Anglesey Abbey: a garden temple erected in 1953. Photograph, 1953, supplied by the National Trust
25. Reach: the fair green. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27439
26. Soham: a squatter's cottage on a fen drove. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27406
27. Bottisham: the village street in the early 20th century. From a postcard in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Bot. Ko 10989]
28. Wicken: the village green. From a photograph, 1981, by H. E. S. Simmons, supplied by English Heritage. N.M.R. AA 81/834
29. Chippenham: late 18th-century cottages on the high street. Photograph, 1999. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/01525
30. Soham: the high street c. 1900. From a postcard by Boughton and Sons, Britannia series no. 288, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Soh. Ko 22242]
31. Swaffham Bulbeck: purpose-built early 19th-century workmen's cottages at Commercial End. Photograph, late 20th-century. Crown copyright. N.M.R. CMX 2367
32. Swaffham Prior: an old house on the village street, once a shop. Photograph, 1970. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 70/4917
33. Fen Ditton: the former rectory house. Photograph, 1968. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 68/5336
34. Burwell: a medieval barn at Parsonage Farm. Photograph, 1970. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 70/3669
35. Burwell: old houses at North Street. Photograph, 1967. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 67/4034
36. Swaffham Bulbeck: the Merchant's House of c. 1700. Photograph, 1967. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 67/7872
37. Soham: East Fen Common. From a postcard c. 1910 in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Soh. Ko 24255]
38. Kirtling: threshing by steam at Place farm. Photograph c. 1910; original in possession of Mrs. M. Bowyer
39. Cheveley: a sheep flock being driven home to Place farm, Kirtling. Photograph c. 1910; original in possession of Mrs. M. Bowyer. Reproduced from a negative in the Cambridgeshire Collection [99/18/22]
40. Bottisham: the village fire engine. From a photograph, early 20th-century, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Bot. K2 10992]
41. Swaffham Prior: celebrating Plough Monday. From a photograph, 1929, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Swa. K29 31870]
42. Kirtling: a farmer's shooting party at Place farm. Photograph c. 1908; original in possession of Mrs. M. Bowyer. Reproduced from a negative in the Cambridgeshire Collection [99/18/27]
43. Great Wilbraham: a windmill. From a photograph, 1900, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Wil. Ko 6391]
44. Soham: the 18th-century weighing machine. From a photograph of the 1910s in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Soh. K1 33432]
45. Reach: the former hythe on Reach Lode. Photograph, 1970. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 70/3394
46. Soham: the demolished gas works. From a photograph, c. 1900, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Soh. Ko 14682]
47. Burwell: the former brick works. From a photograph, 1940, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Bur. K40 2828]
48. Soham: the Regal industrial estate. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27487
49. Soham: the former Congregational chapel. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/20079
50. Burwell: an open-air baptism. From a photograph, n.d., in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Bur. Ko 8187]
51. Swaffham Prior: the village lock-up. Photograph, 1999. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/01831
52. Fulbourn: the County Lunatic Asylum of 1856. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/27404
53. Bottisham: the demolished Greencoat school. From a photograph, 1934, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Bot. Ko 2573]
54. Chippenham: the endowed school, built c. 1710. Photograph, 1999. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 99/01523
55. Soham: the former Grammar School. From a photograph, c. 1906, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Soh. K1 12145]
56. Horningsea: the Church school of 1841. Photograph, 1969. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 69/7051
57. Soham: the Church girls' school of 1856-7. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/20093
58. Bottisham: the village college of 1937. Photograph, 1998. Crown copyright. N.M.R. BB 98/20080.
59. Fulbourn: the former railway station. From a postcard published by 1907, in the Cambridgeshire Collection [Y. Ful. Ko 6597]
60. Cambridge airfield and Marshalls works in Teversham and Cherry Hinton: an aerial view. From a photograph, 1931, in an album deposited by Marshalls in the Cambridgeshire Collection


<--Previous:
List of maps
Next:-->
List of tables