There was one dissenter in 1679, but none in 1807 when one had
recently departed. (fn. 84) A Baptist congregation
started in 1843, when a dwelling house was
licensed and fitted with seats. In 1851 it seated
60 people, and was in the charge of John
Newton. (fn. 85) In 1865 the Baptists were still meeting in a private house, but in 1883 they built a
chapel in the village. (fn. 86) In 1921 gas lamps were
installed, and in the early 1930s c. forty young
men attended a bible club. A baptistry was
added in 1947.
Following the development of new Cherry
Hinton the Methodists began to arrange meetings there, initially in the Morley Memorial
School, and in 1903 at a private house on
Blinco Grove, owned by George Bland. (fn. 87) Under
his leadership Baptists, Congregationalists,
Methodists, and Presbyterians united to purchase a plot in 1901 at the junction of Cherry
Hinton Road and Hartington Grove. (fn. 88) A Free
Church chapel was opened there in 1904 under
the auspices of the interdenominational Free
Church Council. (fn. 89) In 1906 the first pastor
expelled one of his deacons at an open meeting,
and the chapel was served by two other pastors
before the First World War. The pastorship
remained vacant 1916-9 partly because of its
impecuniousness. In 1916 it was only one of five
such Free Churches in the country, and by 1922,
when it was clear that the Free Church movement had only a limited future, its members
voted to join the Congregationalists. A new
chapel building was completed in 1926, and a
hall was added in 1952, as a memorial for the
Second World War dead. Between 1905 and
1998 the chapel was served by eleven pastors,
and flourished in 1998 with two Sunday services. In 1945 a pre-fabricated house on Fishers
Lane was acquired as a manse for the pastor,
and then in 1947 he and his family moved into
a four-bedroomed house, which has remained
the pastor's residence in the late 20th century.
The expansion of housing estates in the late
20th century has led to churches being built for
Roman Catholics on Walpole Road and
Wulfstan Way, and for the Christian Brethren
on Wulfstan Way in a mixture of modern styles.
Apart from the Anglican services at St.
Andrew's and St. John's, there were eight
Christian services each Sunday in 1998, while
the Paddy O'Reilly Village Centre was used on
an occasional basis as a Hindu temple in the late
1980s and 1990s. (fn. 90)
Compton Census, ed. Whiteman, 167; C.U.L., E.D.R.,
||In P.R.O., HO 129/189.
||J.T. Bloxham, History of the Baptist Church at Cherry
||Tice, Methodism in Cambs. 46.
||E. Jebb, Cambridge: a brief study in social questions
||Rest of acct. based on N.J.W. Appleton, History of
Cherry Hinton Congregational Church (1974).
Camb. Evening News, 6 Apr. 1993.