Cherry Hinton
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

A F Wareham, A P M Wright

Year published

2002

Supporting documents

Page

117

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Cherry Hinton: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 10: Cheveley, Flendish, Staine and Staploe Hundreds (north-eastern Cambridgeshire) (2002), pp. 117. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18813 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

In 1660 Hinton's town land charity owned one cottage and 10 a., for which at inclosure in 1810 4 a. and 6 a. were respectively allotted. (fn. 11) One of those allotments was exchanged with John Okes in 1832 for land near the chalk pits. The cottages belonging to the charity were in poor condition in 1832. In 1883 the charity owned four almshouse cottages along Mill End Road. In 1960 the almspeople paid 50d. a week in rent for each almshouse. In the late 20th century grants from the city council have paid for maintenance costs, while occupants continued to pay rents.

Footnotes

11 Para. based on Report on charities of Cambs., vi. 117; Char. Com. file 200834.


Next:-->
Fen Ditton