CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
was entitled by ancient custom, confirmed c.
1620, to 12s. a year in place of certain common
rights in Fen Ditton town lands, but the rights
were lost before 1837. (fn. 19)
The Poor's Land charity was established in
1708 with an endowment of c. 2 a. of land in
Bottisham. (fn. 20) The rent, for the benefit of those
not receiving relief, was worth £1 12s. by 1782
and £4 5s. in 1837. The poor also enjoyed a joint
right to dig turf in the Poor's Fen in Bottisham,
Stow cum Quy, and Horningsea. By a Scheme
of 1878 Horningsea shared in the Poor's Fen
charity, receiving a fourth of the income derived
from 8 a. of land, to be spent on fuel and for
other purposes. From 1913 it was managed by
the Bottisham United Charities. Horningsea's
share in 1965 amounted to less than £2, and in
the late 20th century the money was spent on
grocery vouchers for the poor. (fn. 21)
Horningsea, together with Fen Ditton, also
shared in Quy Poor's charity. (fn. 22) In the late 20th
century it had c. 70 a. divided between the central part of Horningsea parish, around Snout's
corner, the north-eastern end of Fen Ditton
parish, and the north-western portion of Stow
parish. In 2000 the fenland landscape was maintained primarily for leisure pursuits, and was
open to the general public.
||31st Rep. Com. Char. 119; above, Fen Ditton, charities.
||Para. based on 31st Rep. Com. Char. 118-19, 144-5;
C.R.O., P 94/25/9-15 (from cat.); P 94/4/1, p. 128; C.U.L.,
E.D.R., B 7/1, p. 11.
||Char. Com. files 202221, 201124.