CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
The 8 a. in
Swaffham Prior left by Thomas Rolf of Reach
in 1529 for the benefit of the township, subject
to an obit in the same manner as William
Thompson's bequest, (fn. 14) was to relieve the poor,
including those of Reach, of taxes. It was
included from 1577, as 8¾ a., in the Swaffham
Prior charity estate. (fn. 15) By the 1860s that estate
included two cottages at Reach, (fn. 16) by 1800 usually let to poor people. (fn. 17) From the 1870s Reach
men often occupied three quarters or more of
the Swaffham Prior charity land, including 18 a.
on Church Hill, let as allotments. (fn. 18) The two
dilapidated almshouses on Reach green were
demolished and their sites sold in 1951-2. (fn. 19)
From 1955 Reach, just constituted a separate
parish, was assigned a quarter of the net income
of the ancient Swaffham Prior charities. By 1990
Reach's share was worth almost £1,500, of
which a quarter or more went to old people. (fn. 20)
||P.R.O., PROB 11/24, f. 23.
||e.g. ibid. C 93/57, no. 6; 31st Rep. Com. Char. 147-8;
cf. below, Swaffham Prior, char.
||C.R.O., P 150/25/34.
||Cf. B.L. Add. MS. 9412, f. 291.
||C.R.O., P 150/25/36, 40.
||Char. Com. file 201117 A/2, corr. 1951-2.
||Ibid. corr. 1954-5; Scheme 1955; accts. 1988 sqq.