Edgeworth
Local government

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

45

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Edgeworth: Local government', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 45. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19028 Date accessed: 02 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

A court at Edgeworth was mentioned in 1342 (fn. 37) but no court records are known to have survived. In the mid 16th century frankpledge jurisdiction over Edgeworth was exercised by the hundred court. (fn. 38) Tenants at Westwood in the Middle Ages presumably attended the court of the Abbot of Cirencester for Througham manor. (fn. 39)

The parish had two churchwardens from the 16th century (fn. 40) but none of their early records nor the records of the overseers are known to have survived. The expenditure on poor-relief in 1813, when 14 people were on permanent relief and 11 on occasional relief, was £80. (fn. 41) It declined steadily to £49 in 1825, (fn. 42) but in the following years was usually higher, reaching £121 in 1831. (fn. 43) The parish became part of the Cirencester poor-law union in 1836 (fn. 44) and remained in Cirencester rural district in 1971.

Footnotes

37 Inq. p. m. Glos. 1302-58, 292.
38 S.C. 2/175/11 rot. 2d.
39 Cf. S.C. 6/Hen. VIII/1240 rott. 49d.-50d.
40 Hockaday Abs. xlvii, 1576 visit., f. 102.
41 Poor Law Abstract, 1818, 144-5.
42 Poor Law Returns (1830-1), p. 66.
43 Ibid. (1835), p. 64.
44 Poor Law Com. 2nd Rep. p. 522.