In 1818 there were two schools at
Miserden, one supported by dissenters, which is not
recorded later, and another supported by Lady
Sandys and payments by the parents. (fn. 33) In 1833
there was a day-school teaching 25 children, and a
Sunday school with an attendance of 54; they were
supported in part by the rector and in part out of
the poor-rates. (fn. 34) The day-school was affiliated to the
National Society by 1856 (fn. 35) when the rector's
contribution was supplemented by pence and other
contributions. A new building was provided in 1858
on the road west of the church, and c. 30 children
were being taught there in 1871. (fn. 36) In 1883 the
school was moved to the building in the centre of the
village put up by Sir John Rolt for the benefit club
in 1866. (fn. 37) It had an average attendance of 70 in 1885
and was supported in part by the Leathams until
the Act of 1902. (fn. 38) In 1914 it was moved to a new
building west of the old school. (fn. 39) Called the Miserden C. of E. school, it had an attendance of around
40 in the earlier part of the 20th century, (fn. 40) and in
1970 was teaching 49 children. The older children
of the parish then attended schools at Stroud or
Eastcombe. (fn. 41)
Educ. of poor Digest, 304.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 321.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1856), 329.
||Ed. 7/35/220; cf. O.S. Map 6", Glos. XLII. NE. (1884
||Ed. 7/35/220; Stratford, Glos. Biographical Notes, 226.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885 and later edns.).
Bd. of Educ., List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 164; 1922,
106; 1932, 116.
||Ex inf. the rector.