Sapperton
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

98

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Sapperton: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 98. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19055 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY.

No documentary evidence has been found to support the traditions that the Bliss family were connected with the Huguenots or that Westley wood was used as a meeting-place by nonconformist groups in the 16th or 17th century. (fn. 62) No nonconformists were recorded in the parish in 1676. (fn. 63) In 1804 Samuel Jones of Frampton Mansell had his house registered for nonconformist worship and Independents registered a building in the parish in 1822. (fn. 64) A Baptist chapel was built at Frampton Mansell in 1923 by Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Clark of Downs Farm (fn. 65) and it continued in use in 1971 when the congregation numbered 24. (fn. 66)

Footnotes

62 See Glos. R.O., PA 282/1; Rudd, Bisley with Lypiatt, 301.
63 Compton Census.
64 Hockaday Abs. cccxxxi.
65 Inscr. on chapel.
66 Ex inf. the chapel sec.


<--Previous:
Sapperton:
Church