Stroud
Jews

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

141

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Stroud: Jews', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 141. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19066 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

JEWS.

The Jewish community which settled in Stroud to work in the wholesale clothing trade had a synagogue near the junction of Lansdown and Slad Road, just within Painswick parish, from c. 1880. In 1889 a new synagogue was opened (fn. 69) on the northwest side of Lansdown nearer the town; (fn. 70) it apparently went out of use c. 1908. (fn. 71)

Footnotes

69 Libby, Stroud, 42-3; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Glos. XLI. 16 (1885 edn.).
70 O.S. Map 1/2,500, Glos. XLI. 15 (1902 edn.).
71 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1906), 310; (1910), 314.