Mr. Ross, the preacher who
was teaching without licence at Winstone in 1602, (fn. 92)
was perhaps a nonconformist, but no further
evidence of nonconformity has been found until
1816 when Henry Hawkins of Eastcombe registered
a barn in the parish for use by the Baptists, (fn. 93) who soon
after built a chapel on the south side of the village
street. (fn. 94) In 1851 the chapel had a congregation of 27
for morning service and 50 in the afternoon. There
was a Sunday school attached. (fn. 95) The chapel continued in use in 1971 when the congregation numbered 10. (fn. 96) There was a resident Baptist minister in
the parish in the early 20th century, (fn. 97) when a
Wesleyan minister was also recorded (fn. 98) although no
conclusive evidence of any Methodist meeting in the
parish has been found. (fn. 99) By 1885 the Plymouth
Brethren had established a meeting (fn. 1) which flourished
until the early 1960s. The meeting was led by
Raymond Barrett, the village blacksmith, in its early
years and possibly met in the meeting-room adjoining a cottage on Ermin Street. Later it met in a
corrugated iron hut on Ermin Street just south of
Beech Pike; (fn. 2) the hut was derelict in 1971.
||G.D.R. vol. 91, f. 88.
||Hockaday Abs. ccccix; cf. above, p. 37.
Glos. and Herefs. Bapt. Yr. Bk. (1969-70), 30; cf. H.O.
129/340/1/6/6 where the date of building is put as c. 1817.
||Ex inf. Miss M. E. Bird, chapel sec.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1902 and later edns.).
||Ibid. (1889 and later edns.).
||The Methodist meeting recorded in 1825 (G.D.R. vol.
383, no. ccxlvi) appears to have been a mistake for the
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885 and later edns.).
||Ex inf. the rector; the date over the door of the
meeting-room is 1873.