An unlicensed school was functioning at Winstone in 1602 (fn. 3) but no further evidence of
one has been found until the 19th century. In 1818
there was a Sunday school supported by the rector
and the principal residents, (fn. 4) and in 1825 all 36
children in the parish were attending the Sunday
school; 13 of them were also attending a day-school (fn. 5)
which seems to have functioned fitfully (fn. 6) until 1835
when it was given a new building. (fn. 7) The Sunday
school and day-school each had 42 pupils in 1847
when, because they were a heavy charge on the rector,
they received grants from the National Society of £5
and £25 respectively. (fn. 8) In 1872 a new building was
opened west of High Cottages, (fn. 9) and the school had
an average attendance of 37 in 1894. (fn. 10) It was closed
in 1967 when there were 16 pupils on the books, and
the buildings were used as a sculptor's workshop in
1971, when most of the children attended school in
Cirencester. (fn. 11)
||G.D.R. vol. 91, f. 88.
Educ. of Poor Digest, 317.
||G.D.R. vol. 383, no. ccxlvi.
||Cf. Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 332, where the day-school
is not mentioned.
||Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 304.
Church Schools Inquiry, 1846-7, 18-19.
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1894), 350.
||Ex inf. the rector.