Winstone
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), A P Baggs, A R J Jurica, W J Sheils

Year published

1976

Supporting documents

Page

151

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Winstone: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11: Bisley and Longtree Hundreds (1976), pp. 151. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=19075 Date accessed: 01 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

Winstone received the same benefit as Miserden from the charity founded by Thomas Muggleton in 1659. (fn. 12) In 1971 the charity was allowed to accumulate and was administered by the rector and the trustees in cases of special need. (fn. 13) Sir William Sandys (d. 1641) left £3, the interest to be given to the poor of Winstone, but by 1686 the principal sum had been lost. (fn. 14) The congregation of the Baptist chapel shared in a charity founded by Thomas Davis in 1856. (fn. 15)

Footnotes

12 See p. 56.
13 Ex inf. the rector.
14 G.D.R., V5/344T 3.
15 See p. 40.


<--Previous:
Winstone:
Education
Next:-->
Longtree Hundred