The manor of Avening
was closely linked to that of Minchinhampton where
tithingmen for Avening and Aston attended view of
frankpledge in the later 13th century. (fn. 78) Aston was
sometimes considered to be a constituent part of
Minchinhampton manor and Avening manor was
itself administered as such from time to time. (fn. 79) In
the year following Michaelmas 1380 two courts for
Avening manor were held at Avening and a third
court was held at Minchinhampton, where the
homage of Avening presented in 1388 and 1397. (fn. 80)
Profits of court and view of frankpledge were
considered among the assets of Avening manor
in the early and mid 15th century (fn. 81) but later
in the century the court was again being held
with Minchinhampton. (fn. 82) Woodwards appointed at
Minchinhampton administered the woodland in
Avening, (fn. 83) and the liberties granted to the lords of
Minchinhampton were also exercised in the manor
of Avening. (fn. 84)
The account of parochial government in Avening
includes information for that part of the parish later
transferred to Nailsworth. Churchwardens were
recorded at Avening from the 15th century (fn. 85) and
records of the overseers of the poor survive from
1674, when £86 11s. 10d. was spent on relief, until
1811. (fn. 86) In 1694 it was decided to badge the poor, (fn. 87)
who were sometimes helped by the parish to purchase looms or spinning-wheels. (fn. 88) During most of
the 18th century the cost of poor-relief in Avening
tithing exceeded that in Nailsworth tithing. (fn. 89) A
workhouse was recorded in the parish from 1776 and
in 1777 a salaried overseer was appointed. In 1780
the salaried overseer was assisted by the workhouse
governor. (fn. 90) In 1783 the governor was discharged and
the workhouse was discontinued, (fn. 91) remaining empty
in 1803. By 1813 it had been re-opened and had 18
inmates. (fn. 92) A cottage was purchased for use as a poorhouse in 1793 and other cottages in the same row
were purchased before 1817. (fn. 93) A smallpox-house was
recorded at Nailsworth in 1786. (fn. 94)
Vestry minutes survive for the period 1847-95. In
1848 Avening village had a nuisance removal committee, which became a local board of health, with
separate committees for Avening and Nailsworth, in
the following year. In 1853 the board dealt with the
whole parish and had a sub-committee for Nailsworth. (fn. 95) Avening parish became part of the Stroud
poor-law union in 1836 (fn. 96) but was transferred to the
Tetbury union in 1893 after the formation of
Nailsworth parish. (fn. 97) In 1972 Avening formed part of
the Tetbury rural district.
||e.g. Cal. Pat. 1396-9, 464.
||S.C. 6/856/23; S.C. 2/175/87.
||e.g. S.C. 6/856/25; S.C. 6/857/1, 7, 12.
||S.C. 2/175/88; S.C. 6/Hen. VII/169-170.
||S.C. 6/856/19; S.C. 6/Hen. VIII/2396 rot. 143.
||See p. 200; Cal. Chart. R. 1341-7, 160; Plac. de Quo
Warr. (Rec. Com.), 254.
||Hockaday Abs, xxii, 1498 visit. f. 26.
B. & G. Par. Recs. 54; Glos. R.O., P 29/OV 2/1.
||Glos. R.O., P 29/OV 2/1.
||Ibid. entry for 1700; OV 2/2, entry for 1711.
Poor Law Abstract, 1804, 180-1; 1818, 154-5.
||18th Rep. Com. Char. 332.
||Glos. R.O., P 29/OV 2/8.
||Ibid. D 1197/1.
Poor Law Com. 2nd Rep. p. 524.
||Glos. Colln. (H)F 6.31.