Early nonconformity in the
parish was based on meeting-houses at Nailsworth. (fn. 60)
Tradition maintains that there was a Baptist chapel
at Avening which closed c. 1720 but no record of it
has survived. (fn. 61) A Baptist chapel was built in Avening
village in 1805 (fn. 62) for former members of the Shortwood Baptist meeting and occasional preaching was
done there until 1818 when it was necessary to
enlarge the chapel. On completion of the alterations
regular services were held (fn. 63) and in 1851 the average
congregation was 120. (fn. 64) In 1972 the chapel, which no
longer had a settled minister, had 10 members. (fn. 65)
Several houses, some of which may have been in
the Nailsworth area, were licensed for worship by
dissenting groups. The house of Joshua Griffin was
licensed by Anabaptists in 1699 and that of Abraham
Hicks by Presbyterians in 1702. (fn. 66) Houses were used
by protestant dissenters in 1731, 1743, and 1772, and
in 1821 two houses and a piece of ground for openair meetings were licensed by unidentified groups. A
house at Nag's Head was licensed in 1835 and further
houses in the parish were used for worship in 1844
and 1845. (fn. 67)
||See p. 216.
||W. Winterbotham, Hist. of Baptized Church at Shortwood (1820), 55.
||Winterbotham, Bapt. Ch. at Shortwood, 55.
||Ex inf. Mr. F. Smith, chapel sec.
||Glos. R.O., Q/SO 3.
||Hockaday Abs. cviii.