List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

J.M. Lee, R.A. McKinley

Year published

1964

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 5: Gartree Hundred (1964), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22031 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are due to the following for permission to reproduce material in their possession and for the loan of prints and negatives: the City of Leicester Museum and Art Gallery, the University of Leicester, the Market Harborough and District Archaeological and Historical Society, the Committee for Aerial Photography of the University of Cambridge, the Air Ministry, the National Buildings Record, the British Museum, the Council for the Care of Churches, the Historic Churches Preservation Trust, Country Life, Mrs. F. Lumbers, and Mr. Hope Bagenal.

The Gartree Road. Photograph by J. K. St. Joseph (Crown Copyright reserved), 1949, from the Cambridge University Collection frontispiece
Billesdon Coplow from Life Hill. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 facing page 26
Billesdon, houses on the Leicester-Uppingham road. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 facing page 26
Great Bowden Green, with the church and Rectory c. 1835. Drawing by George Clarke in the possession of the Market Harborough Archaeological Society " 27
Husbands Bosworth church struck by lightning, 1755. Engraving by Samuel Turner, British Museum (B.M. Maps K. 19. 12) " 27
Foxton, the canal, showing the mechanical lift, early 20th century. Photograph in Leicester Museum " 64
Burrough on the Hill, Iron Age fort. Photograph by J. K. St. Joseph, 1948, from the Cambridge University Collection " 64
Slawston church. Photograph by F. Butler, National Buildings Record " 65
Galby church tower. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 65
Frisby, deserted village site. Photograph by J. K. St. Joseph (Crown Copyright reserved), 1957, from the Cambridge University Collection " 96
Hallaton Green, showing the Butter Cross. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 122
Hallaton, the bottle-kicking procession, 1905. Photograph by Benjamin Stone in Birmingham Reference Library " 122
The Fernie, near Gumley, 1951. Photograph by F. H. Meads " 123
Market Harborough, the cattle market in the Square, before 1903. Photograph by G. Speight in the possession of the Market Harborough Archaeological Society " 123
Market Harborough town centre. Aerofilms and Aero Pictorial Ltd., 1951 " 136
Market Harborough, High Street, c. 1860. Lithograph by E. H. Buckler in the possession of the Market Harborough Archaeological Society " 137
Market Harborough, Independent chapel, Bowden Lane, before 1843-4. Photograph in the possession of the Market Harborough Archaeological Society of an undated drawing " 137
Kibworth Beauchamp church, 1791. From J. Nichols, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, ii, plate cviii " 178
Kibworth Harcourt windmill, 1923. Photograph by F. Lumbers in Leicester Museum " 178
Kibworth Harcourt, the Old House. Photograph by F. Lumbers " 178
Church Langton Rectory, c. 1940. Photograph by F. L. Attenborough, National Buildings Record " 200
The Revd. William Hanbury (d. 1778), Rector of Church Langton. Engraving from the painting by Edward Penny, County Life, 23 June 1960 " 200
Church Langton church organ. Photograph, Country Life, 23 June 1960 " 200
Horninghold church, 12th-century doorway. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 201
Hallaton church, 13th-century piscina and sedilia. Photograph, National Buildings Record " 201
Hallaton church, 14th-century north aisle. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 201
Noseley church, 15th-century desk-end. Photograph by W. G. Meredith, National Buildings Record " 201
Wistow church, 18th-century communion rails. Photograph by K. K. Drury, National Buildings Record facing page 201
Nevill Holt Hall, showing 15th-century porch and oriel. Photograph, Country Life, 20 Feb. 1909 " 244
Nevill Holt Hall, south front, 1868. Lithograph, British Museum (B.M. Maps 137. a. 8/7) " 245
Noseley Hall and chapel, 1793. From J. Nichols, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, ii, plate cxxii " 245
Owston church and former abbey gatehouse, 1730. Engraving by S. and N. Buck, British Museum (B.M. Maps K. 19. 13) " 245
Medbourne church and bridge, 1792. From J. Nichols, History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester, ii, plate lxxix " 260
King's Norton church interior. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 260
Theddingworth village street, showing the church tower and the school. Eagle Photos., 1960 " 288
Stonton Wyville, Water Mill House. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1962 " 288
Scraptoft Hall. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 289
Thurnby Court. Photograph in Adams Photo. Series in Leicester Museum " 289
Husbands Bosworth, the former Wheatsheaf Inn. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 320
Bringhurst, Bryan's House. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 320
Mowsley, brick cottages. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 320
Kibworth Harcourt, mud cottage. Photograph by Hope Bagenal, 1947, in the Attenborough Collection, Leicester University " 320
Billesdon school, 1906. Photograph by G. M. Henton, in Leicester Museum " 321
Kibworth Beauchamp school. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 321
Cranoe school. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 321
Church Langton, the Hanbury Schools. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1963 " 321