Staines
Roman catholicism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Susan Reynolds (Editor)

Year published

1962

Supporting documents

Page

30

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Staines: Roman catholicism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 30. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22233 Date accessed: 16 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ROMAN CATHOLICISM.

The only record of Roman Catholicism in Staines before the late 19th century is that John Perkins of Staines was returned as a convicted recusant in 1667 and 1668. (fn. 26) In 1890 the chapel in Gresham Road was opened, and was served from Hampton Wick. For some years before this a priest from Sunbury had held services at the Staines Union Workhouse in Stanwell. There was a resident priest in Gresham Road from 1891 and by 1893 the church was known, as it is now, as the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. (fn. 27) A school was opened in 1893. (fn. 28) The church was much enlarged in 1931, (fn. 29) so that the old church became the western part of the nave. The new eastern end had a narrow south aisle, and a chancel with an apsidal east end was also added.

From about 1904 to about 1919 there was a convent of Sisters of Sainte ChretĂȘnne in Gresham Road, (fn. 30) with a school attached. (fn. 31)

Footnotes

26 'Convicted Recusants', Miscellanea, v. (Cath. Rec. Soc. vi), 287.
27 Cath. Dir. (1888-93).
28 See p. 32.
29 Cath. Dir. (1957).
30 Ibid. (1905-19).
31 Kelly's Dir. Mdx. (1908).