Roman catholicism


Victoria County History



Susan Reynolds (Editor)

Year published


Supporting documents




Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Sunbury: Roman catholicism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 63. URL: Date accessed: 28 November 2014.


(Min 3 characters)


In 1640 and 1706 there were no known or suspected papists in the parish. (fn. 71) A woman who died in 1726 was reputed to have been a papist. (fn. 72) It has been stated that from 1849 a priest from Weybridge held services in a cottage in the Staines Road, which was later demolished when the railway was built, that a cottage in Park Road was used later, and that in 1855 stables in Hanworth Road were used for a church and school. (fn. 73) By 1862 a chapel dedicated to St. Ignatius of Loyola was being served from North Hyde. (fn. 74) In the Ordnance Survey map of 1864-5, where it is called St. Leonard's, a Roman Catholic chapel is marked in the Hanworth Road. (fn. 75) This building is now (1957) used as a workshop. The present church of St. Ignatius in Green Street was opened in 1869. (fn. 76) It was designed by C. A. Buckler in the Early English style and consists of a nave, chancel, and one aisle, all built of rustic stone.

St. Teresa's Convent of the Sisters of Charity of St. Paul was established in 1926, with a school, in the house called Sunbury Manor. (fn. 77)


71 Guildhall MS. 9800; B.M. Add. MS. 38856, f. 47.
72 Par. Rec., Burial Reg.
73 Sunbury and Shepperton Local Hist. Soc. Sketch of Sunbury's Hist. [1952].
74 Cath. Dir. (1862-5).
75 O.S. Map 6" Mdx. xxv (1st edn.).
76 Kelly's Dir. Mdx. (1878, 1886); Cath. Dir. (1957).
77 Cath. Dir. (1957); ex inf. school secretary. For the house, see p. 54.