List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, J S Cockburn, R B Pugh (Editors), Diane K Bolton, H P F King, Gillian Wyld, D C Yaxley

Year published

1971

Supporting documents

Pages

10-11

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. X-XI. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22374 Date accessed: 23 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are offered to the following for permission to reproduce material in their possession and for the loan of prints: All Souls College, Oxford; City of London, Guildhall Library; the Greater London Record Office (Middlesex Records); King's College, Cambridge; London Borough of Ealing, Central Library; London Borough of Ealing, Southall Library; London Borough of Hillingdon, Uxbridge Library; the National Monuments Record (indicated below by the initials N.M.R.); the Trustees, Norwood (Middlesex) Charities; the Society of Friends. Coats of arms were drawn by C. W. Scott-Giles.

The Grand Junction Canal at Southall Mill, c. 1806, by J. M. W. Turner. Photograph supplied by Messrs. Thos. Agnew & Sons Ltd. frontispiece
Harmondsworth: London Airport from the north-west in 1954. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd. facing page 6
Southall: King Street, c. 1900. From a painting by A. L. Ham in London Borough of Ealing, Southall Library " 7
Harmondsworth: the medieval barn at Manor Farm. Photograph by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), 1936, Crown Copyright (N.M.R.) " 7
London Borough of Hillingdon: coat of arms page 16
Urban District of Hayes and Harlington: coat of arms " 33
Church Details facing page 36
1. Harmondsworth: south doorway of St. Mary's Church. Photograph, 1936 (N.M.R.)
2. Hayes: font in St. Mary's Church. Photograph by the Royal Commission on HistoricalMonuments (England), 1936, Crown Copyright (N.M.R.)
3. Ruislip: bread cupboard in St. Martin's Church. Photograph, 1936 (N.M.R.)
4. Ickenham: monument in St. Giles's Church. Photograph by the Royal Commission on Hisorical Monuments (England), 1936, Crown Copyright (N.M.R.)
Southall: the intersection of road, canal, and railway at Windmill Bridge. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., 1938 " 37
Perivale: the River Brent and Western Avenue. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., 1963 " 37
Borough of Southall: coat of arms page 49
Uxbridge: the Treaty House in 1812. From a print in London Borough of Hillingdon, Uxbridge Library facing page 60
Uxbridge: the Market House, built 1789. From a print in London Borough of Hillingdon, Uxbridge Library " 60
Uxbridge: High Street, c. 1790. From a drawing in London Borough of Hillingdon, Uxbridge Library " 61
Country Residences " 64
1. Hillingdon: the Cedar House. Photograph by the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England), 1936, Crown Copyright (N.M.R.)
2. Uxbridge: Park Lodge. Photograph, 1966 (N.M.R.)
3. Hillingdon Court. Photograph, undated (N.M.R.)
4. Harrow Weald: Grim's Dyke. Photograph, undated (N.M.R.)
Urban District (later Borough) of Uxbridge: coat of arms page 87
Hillingdon: St. John the Baptist's Church, c. 1805. From a watercolour in City of London, Guildhall Library (Wakefield Prints) facing page 90
Hillingdon: Colham Mill, c. 1805. From a watercolour in City of London, Guildhall Library (Wakefield Prints) " 90
Uxbridge: Providence Chapel in 1818. From a print in London Borough of Hillingdon, Uxbridge Library " 91
Uxbridge: Interior of the Friends' Meeting House, built 1818. Photograph by H. Lidbetter, 1942 (N.M.R.), reproduced by courtesy of the Society of Friends " 91
Norwood: St. Mary's Church, c. 1800. From a watercolour in D. Lysons, Environs of London, iii, pt. 2, between pp. 322 and 323: illustrated edition in City of London, Guildhall Library " 104
Ickenham: Swakeleys from the south-east in 1800. From a drawing in D. Lysons, Environs of London, v, supplement, pt. 2, between pp. 192 and 193: illustrated edition in City of London, Guildhall Library facing page 104
Northolt Green. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1969 " 105
Hillingdon Hospital. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., c. 1966 " 105
London Borough of Ealing: coat of arms page 119
Edgware: St. Margaret's Church in 1792. From a watercolour in D. Lysons, Environs of London, ii, pt. 2, between pp. 246 and 247: illustrated edition in City of London, Guildhall Library facing page 126
Perivale: St. Mary's Church, c. 1900. From a photograph in London Borough of Ealing, Central Library " 126
Edgware village in 1597. From a map of Edgware manor in the possession of All Souls College, Oxford (Hovenden Maps, portfolio 2, Edgware 2) " 127
Ruislip village in 1750. From a map of Ruislip by John Doharty in the possession of King's College, Cambridge (K.C.: Mun., Maps P. 38) " 127
Urban District of Ruislip-Northwood: coat of arms page 142
Almshouses facing page 152
1. Ruislip. Photograph, 1945 (N.M.R.)
2. Norwood Green. Photograph, 1961, in the possession of the Trustees, Norwood (Middlesex) Charities
3. Day's Almshouses, Edgware. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1969
4. Ickenham. Photograph by Margaret Tomlinson, 1969
Underground Posters: 1904, 1924. Photographs supplied by London Transport " 153
London Borough of Barnet: coat of arms page 163
Harrow-on-the-Hill from the south-east in 1805. From a sketch by Anne Rushout in the possession of the Greater London Record Office (Middlesex Records) (Acc. 643, 5th deposit) facing page 180
Harrow School: the Vaughan Library. Photograph by Reece Winstone, 1944 (N.M.R.) " 180
Pinner: High Street from the west in 1828. From a drawing in D. Lysons, Environs of London, ii, pt. 3, between pp. 582 and 583: illustrated edition in City of London, Guildhall Library " 181
Harrow-on-the-Hill from the south in 1824. From a lithograph in D. Lysons, Environs of London, ii, pt. 3, facing p. 559: illustrated edition in City of London, Guildhall Library " 181
Suburban Development " 202
1. Ruislip: Frithwood Avenue, Northwood. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., 1937
2. Harrow: Sudbury Court estate. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd., 1934
Wembley Stadium and the British Empire Exhibition in 1924. Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd. " 203
Urban District (later Borough and later London Borough) of Harrow: coat of arms page 245
Borough of Wembley: coat of arms " 246
London Borough of Brent: coat of arms " 246