CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. (fn. 100)
known charity was the Stock Money Land, founded
in 1678 when the parish paid £90 to Miles Pool and
his wife Elizabeth for 6 a. scattered in the Sipson
fields. The purchase money was said to have belonged already to the poor, but its origin is not
known. The rent of the land was to be paid to the
churchwardens who were to distribute it to the poor.
On inclosure 9 a. were allotted to the trustees, which
brought in about £9 10s. a year. This was distributed when needed in sums varying from 5s. to 10s.
to poor families not receiving parish relief. By 1862
the money was paid in sums of 10s. to poor women
on their confinement or sickness. The gift of William
Culley or Cullee of 10s. a year charged on an acre
lying near the Bath Road was made by deed in 1680.
Payments fell into arrears before 1820, but had been
made up before 1823 and the charity was thereafter
distributed by the churchwardens in bread. Dowsett and Hickman's charity was founded by two
Cranford men, John Dowsett, whose will was dated
1722, and William Hickman, whose will was dated
1729, each of whom left 10s. to the poor of Harmondsworth. In 1823 both charities were distributed
as quartern loaves, although Hickman's bequest had
specified a money distribution. By 1862 Hickman's
10s. was given in money, and Dowsett's had been
joined with Tillyer's charity (fn. 101) which was distributed
in 4-lb. loaves of bread. In 1747 Elizabeth, Dowager
Countess of Uxbridge, gave £100 stock to the parish
to be distributed to ten poor families who did not
receive parish relief, no one family receiving more
than 10s. a year. The trustees were allowed to purchase land or to leave the money in the funds. There
was also an allowance of 5s. to whomsoever collected
the money in London and paid it to the churchwardens. In 1823 this charity was regarded as irregular. John Tillyer founded by will a charity of 20s.
a year which was charged on an acre of land. The
date of Tillyer's foundation is not known but was
probably in the late 18th century. In the 19th century it was joined with Dowsett's charity. Allotments to the poor in lieu of fuel and common rights
were made at inclosure when just over 75 a. were
settled in trust in two parcels. (fn. 102) It is not certain how
much of this actually came into the hands of the
trustees, as in 1823 the poor allotment was said to
amount to just over 51 a. This in 1808 brought in
over £91 a year which was normally used for buying
coal, which was then sold to the poor at a price
ranging from 6d. to 1s. a bushel. In 1823 there was
a substantial balance in hand which was kept against
a fall in rents. By 1862 the rent from nearly 52 a.
brought in £151 which was distributed as coal at
After an inquiry in 1862 these six charities were
combined by the Charity Commissioners in 1863.
The proceeds were usually distributed in coal. In
1906 seventy-six coal tickets for amounts varying
from 2s. 6d. to 7s. 6d. were issued, but in 1908 there
were about 800 tickets issued, it being observed that
in such a large agricultural district almost everyone
wanted coal. At this date the land that maintained
the coal charities amounted to just over 42 a. A new
Scheme was made for the six charities in 1909 when
they were called the United Charities. This provided for pensions varying from 5s. to 10s. for
a term of 3 years, which could be prolonged for one
further term. It was also to be used for supplying
medical and nursing attention, clothes, bedding, and
fuel up to a limit of £20 a year. No pensions were
ever paid and in 1958 a request to the commissioners
to raise the limit of £20 to £50 because of the rise in
the price of coal was refused. Dowsett and Hickman's charity was redeemed for £40 in 1932 and
Tillyer's charity was redeemed for the same amount
in 1939; 18 a. of the stock money land were sold in
1947 and the Ministry of Aviation redeemed a £10
rentcharge on Fairview Farm, the property of the
Air Ministry, in 1959. The United Charities accounted for over £390 in 1956, of which more than
£267 were disbursed.
The Blanket Charity was created by the will of
Henry Smith of Harmondsworth Hall in 1875. He bequeathed £300 to be given to the poor in blankets. (fn. 103)
Some of the stock was transferred in 1878 to the use
of the National School. In 1958 the charity income
amounted to over £7, from which six blankets were
||Except where otherwise stated this section is based on
Char. Com. files and 9th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 258, pp.
226-9 (1823), ix.
||Harmondsworth Incl. Award. It seems, however, that
poor land was in existence earlier than 1819, and some inclosure may have taken place after the first Act in 1805.
||J. Webb, Hist. of Charities and Fishing Rights in Harmondsworth (1880), 13-14.