Hayes
Manors and other estates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, J S Cockburn, R B Pugh (Editors), Diane K Bolton, H P F King, Gillian Wyld, D C Yaxley

Year published

1971

Supporting documents

Pages

26-29

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Hayes: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 26-29. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22392 Date accessed: 23 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MANORS AND OTHER ESTATES.

Land in Yeading is mentioned as early as 757 and land in Botwell and Hayes was included in a grant dated 831. (fn. 70) In the following year Werhard, a Canterbury priest, devised 32 hides in Hayes to Christ Church, Canterbury. (fn. 71) This formed the bulk of the holding later known as HAYES manor which remained in the possession of the see of Canterbury until 1545. From that date until 1613 its descent followed that of Harrow manor. (fn. 72) In the early 16th century successive archbishops leased out the manorial demesne for 15-year terms at an annual farm of £16. (fn. 73) The estate was leased out to the Milletts of Hayes as early as 1526, and they continued to farm the property after its transfer to the king in 1545 and its sale to the North family in 1546. In 1613 Dudley, Lord North, sold Hayes to John and Richard Page, who later in the same year resold it to John Millett of Hayes, presumably the son of a former lessee, Richard Millett. (fn. 74) John Millett died in 1629, and was succeeded by his son John, (fn. 75) who in 1641 sold Hayes to Sir John Franklin. Richard Franklin sold the manor to Roger Jenyns in 1677 and it remained in the Jenyns family until 1729, when James Jenyns conveyed the property to Sir George Cooke of Harefield. (fn. 76) Cooke died about 1770 when the manor was put up for sale. (fn. 77) It apparently was not sold until 1777 when Cooke's son, George John Cooke, disposed of the estate to Francis Ascough of Southall. (fn. 78) Francis was succeeded by his son, George Merrick Ascough, whose trustees sold Hayes manor in 1800 to the executors of Robert Child in trust for the children of Sarah Fane, Countess of Westmorland, Child's daughter. (fn. 79) By the marriage of George Villiers (later Child-Villiers), Earl of Jersey (d. 1859), with Sarah Sophia Fane, the grand-daughter of Robert Child, Hayes manor passed to the Jersey family. (fn. 80) In 1829, however, the Earl and Countess of Jersey sold the property to Robert Willis Blencowe, an already extensive landholder in Hayes, (fn. 81) who had held a mortgage on the estate since 1813. He was succeeded by his son, also called Robert Willis Blencowe, who sold the manor in 1858 to Charles Mills, the banker, who lived at Hillingdon. (fn. 82) Mills was created a baronet in 1868, and was succeeded in 1872 by his son, Sir Charles Henry Mills who, in 1886, was created Lord Hillingdon. (fn. 83) He retained Hayes until his death in 1898 when the estate was broken up.

In 1086 Hayes manor was assessed at 59 hides, with 12 hides in demesne. (fn. 84) The manor was then presumably conterminous with the ancient parish, and probably included the area which later formed the precinct of Norwood. Very little is known of the extent of the non-demesne land of the manor after this date, but during the Middle Ages the area of Hayes manor was reduced by the formation of small sub-manors and the larger sub-manors of Norwood and Southall. (fn. 85) These two eventually covered almost the whole of the area of Norwood precinct. In 1553 and 1598, however, Hayes manor still had extensive holdings in both Southall and Northcott, (fn. 86) and as Norwood and Southall manors were always considered to be held of Hayes manor, it is doubtful whether the lands of Hayes manor were finally confined to Hayes parish, excluding the precinct of Norwood, until the 18th or 19th centuries. As late as 1800 the 'mansion-house' of the Hayes manor estate was Southall Park in Southall. (fn. 87)

In the 13th century (fn. 88) the Hayes demesne comprised woodland and 595 a. in North Field, Middle Field, South Field, Bromcroft, and Chalcroft. About 1598 the demesne covered just over 663 a. (fn. 89) An estate of 658 a. divided into halves is described in 1677; that half which centred on the manor-house and consisted of 327 a. probably formed the demesne. The other 331 a. were farmed out in seven parts. (fn. 90) In 1800 the manorial property, including three farms of which one was at Dorman's Well in Norwood, covered 632 a. (fn. 91) This had increased by 1858 to nearly 726 a. and at this date, when Charles Mills acquired not only Hayes but also Norwood and Southall manors, the property covered all the northern part of Hayes parish, between the Yeading Brook and Hillingdon on the east and west and Uxbridge Road to the south. No land at all appeared to lie in Norwood precinct or parish. (fn. 92)

There was almost certainly a manor-house in Hayes from an early date, as in 1095 Archbishop Anselm was ordered by the king to move to Hayes so as to be nearer Windsor. (fn. 93) A hall, two granges, and a cattle shed are mentioned in 1398, (fn. 94) and numerous minor repairs to the hall and other manorial buildings are recorded in the later 15th century. (fn. 95) The site of the manor, presumably the house and garden, was occupied by the farmer, Richard Millett, in 1594, (fn. 96) and in 1598 the dwelling and outhouses stood in 6 a. of land. (fn. 97) During the early 17th century the house, called Hayes Court, continued to be occupied by the Milletts, (fn. 98) and in 1677 Hayes Court was the residence of William Wayland and the centre of a 327-acre estate which was probably the manorial demesne. (fn. 99) In 1770 the manor-house was described as very large, but since the sale of property included both Norwood and Southall manors as well as Hayes, (fn. 1) this house could have been Southall manorhouse, and not that of Hayes. This seems likely since in 1800 the 'mansion-house' of the manor of Hayes was the house called Southall Park. (fn. 2) The present 'Manor House' stands opposite the junction of the modern Church Road and Church Walk. In the 1860s, however, this house was merely called the Rectory, and another building on the north side of Freeman's Lane, at the Church Road end, was called the Manor House. (fn. 3) Whether either of these houses was correctly styled is open to question, as it seems most doubtful whether any specific manor-house existed after the Middle Ages. Many of the owners of the manor are known to have had their own houses either in the parish or in the neighbourhood. (fn. 4)

A park at Hayes is mentioned in 1274, (fn. 5) and both a pleasure park and a deer park are recorded in 1398. (fn. 6) Part of the park probably formed the nucleus of an estate held in the 15th century by the Green family, lords of Cowley Peachey manor, (fn. 7) which later became known as the sub-manor of HAYES PARK HALL. In 1481 Cecily Green, widow of Sir Robert Green, was said to be seised of an estate called the manor of Hayes, which she held in fee of the Archbishop of Canterbury. (fn. 8) This was almost certainly the holding later known as Hayes Park Hall, since twelve years later a jury reaffirmed the rights of the archbishop to the capital manor of Hayes. (fn. 9) The lesser estate with which the capital manor had apparently been confused probably descended to Thomas Burbage, son of another Cecily Green who had married William Burbage. (fn. 10) Hayes Park Hall was first mentioned by name in 1560 when it was included, together with Cowley Peachey manor, in a settlement made by Robert Burbage, Thomas's son, and his wife Mary. (fn. 11) The property was the subject of a family dispute between the Burbages and their son-in-law, William Goring, in the 1570s, (fn. 12) and was included in a survey of Hayes manor about 1598. (fn. 13) The estate then included a moated house, called Hayes Park Hall in 1577, (fn. 14) and approximately 160 a. The manor was said to have belonged to Lady Dacre, widow of Gregory Fiennes, Lord Dacre, the owner of Dorman's Well in Norwood, to whom it had probably been transferred in 1582. (fn. 15) In 1598 Sir Edward Fenner claimed to hold Hayes Park Hall by gift from Lady Dacre. A few months before his death in 1612 Fenner appears to have sold the manor to Vincent Barry and Michael Shorediche. (fn. 16) In 1640 Roland Reynolds died holding both the manor of Hayes Park Hall and the house of the same name. Both were then held of Edward Millett who was presumably a relative of John Millett, the lord of Hayes manor at this time. (fn. 17) Reynolds left two daughters as coheirs, but the property seems to have been divided into at least three parts. By 1658 one part, together with property in Hillingdon and Uxbridge, had been acquired by the Purefoy family and a second by William Roberts. (fn. 18) In 1662 Roberts sold Hayes Park Hall to Robert Child, (fn. 19) who died in possession in 1675. The estate was then sold by trustees, (fn. 20) to be held in trust for William Vannam. In 1678 Nathaniel Bennet held the manor in trust for a widow, Elizabeth Vannam. By 1703 it was again divided into two moieties, one of which passed to John Vannam, son of William, and the other to Robert and his wife Elizabeth, who was the daughter of the late George Vannam, another of William's sons. (fn. 21) By 1741 the estate was apparently again consolidated in the hands of the Dodd family of Swallowfield (Berks.), lords of Colham manor. (fn. 22) Hayes Park Hall passed in the Dodd family until the late 18th century when John Dodd sold it to the father of Joseph Fraine who held the property in 1795. (fn. 23) At that date Hayes Park Hall adjoined a moated site south of Uxbridge Road; the house was occupied by John Heath, the judge, who lived there until his death in 1816. (fn. 24) A quit-rent to Hayes manor for what was styled the 'Park' was paid in 1806 by a Mr. Fortescue, presumably the John Faithful Fortescue who at inclosure in 1814 held 174 a. in the parish. (fn. 25) In 1816 it was paid by 'Admiral' Fortescue. After this date the descent of the manor of Hayes Park Hall is obscure. The manor-house had been demolished by 1865, when its site was occupied by Park Farm, which itself disappeared between 1914 and 1935. (fn. 26) By 1937 the moat had been almost entirely filled in, (fn. 27) and after the Second World War the site was covered by houses.

North of Uxbridge Road a mansion belonging to Robert Willis Blencowe was substantially rebuilt about 1820 as a two-story dwelling with a central, porticoed doorway. (fn. 28) After Blencowe had purchased the manor of Hayes in 1829 this house, Hayes Park, seems to have descended with the capital manor. (fn. 29) From about 1850, however, the house was used as a private mental home. (fn. 30) It served this purpose until the break-up of the manorial estate after the death of Charles, Lord Hillingdon, in 1898 when the house and 60 a. were sold for use as a nursing home. (fn. 31) The remaining 100 a. of the estate were sold separately to Dalton's Dairies Ltd. (fn. 32) In 1959 H. J. Heinz Ltd. purchased Hayes Park and the two parcels of land, amounting in all to 160 a., for use as a research centre and offices. Three years later the house was demolished and new offices built on the site.

An estate at YEADING owned by William de Pilardington was styled a manor in 1337. (fn. 33) Hugh, son of Stephen de Pilardington, had acquired a carucate in Yeading as early as 1243, (fn. 34) and in 1279 John de Pilardington did homage for half a knight's fee in Hayes. (fn. 35) By 1383 this estate was clearly a submanor of Hayes, as the lord of Yeading was paying for suit of court at Hayes. (fn. 36) During the earlier 14th century members of a Yeading (Yedding) family are mentioned, (fn. 37) but they do not appear to have been the owners of the manor until 1387 when John Yeading, who held a grant of the manor for life, was granted the reversion to it. (fn. 38) The property then included a house and 60 a. in Yeading. A William Yeading was a Middlesex coroner in the early 15th century and an Adam Yeading was committed for debt in 1413, (fn. 39) but it is not known whether they were also owners of the manor. Nothing further is known of the estate until 1539 when Thomas Bullock sold the reversion on Yeading manor to John Roys, a London mercer, the manor then belonging to Thomas's father Richard Bullock. (fn. 40) In 1540 Richard and Thomas Bullock and John Roys disposed of their interests in the manor to John Hughes. At this date it was said to comprise 10 houses, 490 a., and 100s. rents in Yeading and Hayes. (fn. 41) The manor was subject to settlements in 1582 and 1585, (fn. 42) and in 1586 Robert, son of Thomas Hughes, sold it to William Hewitt. The property was then said to be held of the lord of Hayes manor at an annual rent of 6d. (fn. 43) Robert King held the estate in 1596, (fn. 44) but whether as a tenant or owner is not known. Henry Arundell was apparently the owner in 1653. (fn. 45) Throughout the 18th century quit-rents for Yeading were paid to Hayes manor; by Lady Wiseman in 1702, by the heirs of Mr. Lambert in 1735, and by Benjamin Lethieullier in 1770. (fn. 46) The Revd. Lascelles Iremonger owned the manor by 1807; (fn. 47) at inclosure in 1814 Iremonger owned 180 a. in the parish. (fn. 48) He was still in possession in 1816, (fn. 49) but the later history of the holding is unknown.

There is no record that courts were held by the owners of Yeading, and business was probably always transacted through the Hayes manor court. A manor-house with a hall, chambers, kitchen, parlour, and gatehouse was contracted to be built in 1653. (fn. 50) In the 18th century the manor certainly owned both copyhold land and quit-rents, (fn. 51) but the extent of its property is unknown.

Hugh, son of Hugh de Northburgh and a relative of Roger Northburgh, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, acquired a house and 92 a. in Hayes and Yeading in 1337. (fn. 52) This estate seems to have originated in a conveyance of 1325 from William de Pilardeston, who is probably identifiable with the Pilardington who owned Yeading manor at this date. (fn. 53) In 1347 Henry Frowyk owned 2 houses and 180 a. in Yeading which he had acquired from John Dalling, a London mercer. (fn. 54) In 1430 an estate, possibly identifiable with the earlier Frowyk property, consisting of part of a house and 186 a. in Yeading, was sold by Henry and Joan Southwell to John Holme. (fn. 55) By 1479 this property had passed to William Chadborne, a London baker, and his son Thomas, who disposed of it in 1479 to John Shodewell, a clerk. (fn. 56) Other land in Yeading was bought in 1419 by Richard King from Thomas Bullock. (fn. 57) Two smaller estates, of 61 and 40 a. respectively, lay in both Hayes and Norwood. (fn. 58) Ankerwyke Priory (Bucks.) held some woodland in Hayes in the 16th century, if not earlier, (fn. 59) and this was granted in 1537 by the king to Bisham Abbey (Berks.). (fn. 60)

Little else is known of freehold property in Hayes before the 19th century. Elisha Biscoe held approximately 170 a. in Hayes, which passed on his death to Sir Joseph Banks. (fn. 61) At inclosure in 1814 502 a. in Hayes were in the possession of Hughes Minet, (fn. 62) whose relative, William Minet, is said to have acquired the estate in 1767. (fn. 63) By 1827 John Lewis Minet had increased his estate to 585 a. Another large landowner was John Hambrough, with 479 a., and there were at least two others, Louis Hayes Pettit and A. A. Powell, who owned about 180 a. each. (fn. 64) In 1866 Oscar Holden Hambrough sold a house and 379 a. to Charles Mills, the owner of the manor. (fn. 65) William Minet still owned property in the parish in 1932, and the Minet housing estate built round Central Avenue and Longmead Road is the only example in Hayes of a housing development carried out by a landed proprietor. (fn. 66)

Footnotes

70 Cart. Sax., ed. Birch, i. 259-60, 556-7; see above, p. 22.
71 Cart. Sax., ed. Birch, i. 558-9.
72 See p. 203.
73 Lambeth Palace, Estate MSS. 1213-21; F. R. H. Du Boulay, 'Calendar of Archbishopric Demesne leases, 1503-32', Kent Recs. xviii. 270 sqq.; C 78/104; Canterbury Cathedral Libr., Regs. T1, T2, passim.
74 C 66/2009/74, /100.
75 C 142/450/93; B.M. Harl. MS. 756, f. 257.
76 Lysons, Environs of Lond. ii. 590, quoting the title deeds.
77 M.R.O., Acc. 264/123.
78 M.L.R., 1777/3/116.
79 M.R.O., Acc. 397/19; Acc. 400/16.
80 Complete Peerage, vii. 91-92.
81 M.L.R., 1829/7/553.
82 M.R.O., Acc. 401/349. See also E. G. B, Hist. of the House of Glyn, Mills & Co. (c. 1933), passim.
83 Complete Peerage, vi. 523.
84 V.C.H. Mdx. i. 119.
85 See below, pp. 43-44.
86 M.R.O., Acc. 76/222a; B.M. Add. MS. 24812.
87 M.R.O., Acc. 436/16.
88 Lambeth Palace, Estate MS. 2068.
89 B.M. Add. MS. 24812.
90 M.R.O., Acc. 262 (St. 35).
91 M.R.O., Acc. 436/16.
92 M.R.O., Acc. 401/349.
93 Eadmer, Hist. Novorum (Rolls Ser.), 70-71.
94 C 145/263/22.
95 Lambeth Palace, Estate MSS. 1214-20.
96 C 78/104.
97 B.M. Add. MS. 24812.
98 Mdx. Pedigrees (Harl. Soc. lxv), 138; C 142/450/93.
99 M.R.O., Acc. 262 (St. 35).
1 M.R.O., Acc. 264/123.
2 M.R.O., Acc. 436/16.
3 See p.
4 e.g. the Cookes at Harefield; the Childs at Osterley.
5 J.I. 1/540, m. 12d.
6 C 145/263/22.
7 See V.C.H. Mdx. iii, 173.
8 C 140/76/54/5.
9 Cal. Inq. p.m. Hen. VIII, iii, p. 493.
10 V.C.H. Mdx. iii. 173.
11 C.P. 25(2)/171/2 & 3 Eliz. Mich.
12 Req. 2/174/69; /178/112; /58/43.
13 B.M. Add. MS. 24812.
14 Req. 2/178/112. It seems likely that there had been a house called Hayes Park since the 15th cent.: V.C.H. Mdx. iii. 173.
15 V.C.H. Mdx. iii. 173.
16 C.P. 25(2)/324/10 Jas. I, Trin.
17 B.M. Harl. MS. 411, p. 114.
18 C.P. 25(2)/1657, Mich.; 1658, Mich.
19 C.P. 25(2)/13-14 Chas. II, Hil.
20 Hist. MSS. Com. Hse. of Lords Calendar, ix(2), 119a; L.J. xiii. 254; C.J. ix. 508.
21 C 78/1904/6.
22 See p. 71.
23 Lysons, Environs of Lond. ii. 591.
24 M.R.O., Acc. 264/106, 116; see above, p. 26.
25 M.R.O., Acc. 264/106, 116; Hayes Incl. Award and Map.
26 O.S. Maps 1/2,500, Mdx. xv. 9 (1865 and later edns.).
27 Hist. Mon. Com. Mdx. 70.
28 M.R.O., Hayes Incl. Award and Map; Guildhall Libr. prints; ex inf. H. J. Heinz Ltd.
29 Hayes and Harlington U.D.C., Hayes Valuation (1864).
30 Ex inf. Heinz Ltd.; Census, 1861-1921.
31 Ex inf. Miss Helen Lloyd.
32 Ex inf. Heinz Ltd.
33 Cal. Close, 1337-9, 115.
34 C.P. 25(1)/147/13/224.
35 Reg. Pecham, pt. i. (Cant. & York Soc. pt. xiv), 16.
36 M.R.O., Acc. 401/1, m. 5.
37 e.g. Cal. Close, 1337-9, 115; C 47/1/12/16; Cal. Fine R. 1347-56, 119.
38 C.P. 25(1)/151/78/86.
39 Close R. 1405-9, 495; Cal. Fine R. 1405-13, 260.
40 C 54/421/60.
41 C.P. 25(2)/27/183.
42 C.P. 25(2)/172/24 Eliz. Trin.; /27 Eliz. Trin.
43 M.R.O., Acc. 401/7, mm. 21, 24.
44 Ibid. m. 36.
45 M.R.O., Acc. 249/1298.
46 M.R.O., Acc. 180/21, 25, 55.
47 M.R.O., Acc. 264/106.
48 M.R.O., Hayes Incl. Award and Map.
49 M.R.O., Acc. 264/116.
50 M.R.O., Acc. 249/1298.
51 M.R.O., Acc. 210/17; 264/123.
52 C.P. 25(1)/150/57/111.
53 C.P. 25(1)/149/52/333.
54 C.P. 25(1)/150/62/227.
55 C.P. 25(1)/152/89/50.
56 Cal. Close, 1476-85, 150.
57 C.P. 25(1)/152/87/26.
58 C.P. 25(2)/27/179 15 Hen. VIII East.; /171 3 Eliz. East. For other medieval freeholds see C.P. 25(1)/149/50/ 274;/150/57/105; /152/93/135; /152/93/139; /152/101 19 Hen. VII Hil.; C.P. 25(2)/27/181 22 Hen. VIII Mich.; /74/630 4 & 5 Phil. and Mary Mich.
59 S.C. 6/Hen. VIII, 234; S.C. 6/Hen. VIII, 109, m. 75d.
60 C 66/2009/28.
61 M.R.O., Acc. 398/13.
62 M.R.O., Hayes Incl. Award and Map.
63 Hayes, Harlington and Cranford Official Guide (1932), 33.
64 Hayes and Harlington U.D.C., Hayes Valuation List (1827).
65 M.R.O., Acc. 401/351a.
66 Hayes, Harlington and Cranford Official Guide (1932), 33.