In 1866 Mr. Childe
of Laburnum Villa, Oakleigh Road, built on his
own property the temporary chapel of St. George,
which was served from Barnet. (fn. 94) The chapel was
closed c. 1880, perhaps because it was sold, (fn. 95)
and from 1890 the congregation was served at
Finchley. (fn. 96) In 1924 mass was celebrated at Harper's
tea rooms in Whetstone High Road and then at
Buffaloes' hall attached to the Black Bull. (fn. 97)
The chapel of St. Mary Magdalene, Athenaeum
Road, was in use in 1925 and was administered by
the Fathers of Sion until c. 1973. (fn. 98) In 1930 a
larger temporary church of St. Mary Magdalene
was built in Athenaeum Road (fn. 99) and the older building became the church hall, (fn. 1) which survived in
1975. A modern church on the same site was consecrated in 1958. (fn. 2) It is of red brick, with a chancel,
nave, and west tower.
Finchley Cath. Rec. July 1926, p. 6 (penes Mr. E. D.
||Ibid. July 1928, p. 13.
||Ibid. July 1926, p. 6.
||Ibid. p. 7; ex inf. Mr. E. D. Luscombe.
||G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 52937; Finchley Cath. Rec.
Nov. 1930, p. 10.
Kelly's Dir. Finchley (1934).
||Datestone on bldg.