separatist church at New Brentford was claimed
to be maintaining its own poor in 1654, (fn. 66) and
Quakers were recorded at Brentford in 1659. (fn. 67)
After the Restoration, particularly after the Five
Mile Act of 1666, there was a colony of ejected
ministers at Brentford. One of them ministered
to a congregation formerly of Thomas Gilbert,
former vicar of Ealing, which sometimes numbered 40 in 1663. Teachers included Philip
Taverner and Ralph Button (d. 1680), who were
consequently imprisoned, and Thomas Pakeman
(d. 1691). Others were imprisoned with Button
for worshipping together in private. (fn. 68) John
Jackson (d. 1693), who came to Brentford after
1666, (fn. 69) may have conducted services before he
was licensed in 1672 and continued to hold them
until c. 1689, latterly with John Doddridge. (fn. 70)
There was thus a tradition of nonconformity
and at least one established meeting at Brentford
before the Toleration Act, 1689. Several meetings started immediately afterwards both at
Brentford and Ealing and more were to follow, (fn. 71)
most of them short lived but at Brentford probably including permanent congregations of
Congregationalists, of Baptists from 1692, of
Quakers from 1706, and of Methodists from
1760. Ealing Green Congregational church was
founded c. 1800 and at Brentford there were two
Baptist churches from 1818 and two Congregationalist ones from 1829. Congregations at
Brentford included members far afield, before
daughter churches were established in surrounding parishes in the early 19th century. In 1851
there were eight meetings at Brentford and
Ealing, with 1,129 worshippers in the morning,
345 in the afternoon, and 969 in the evening on
census Sunday. Three meetings were of Congregationalists, two of Baptists, two of Methodists,
and one of Mormons. The Congregationalists,
with 1,102 attendances, outnumbered both the
Baptists with 812 and the Methodists with 480,
although at Brentford the Baptists were the
leading denomination. Ealing Green Congregational church, the only meeting recorded at
Ealing, was the best attended.
At Brentford the late 19th century saw the
foundation of another Baptist church, the closure
of a Congregationalist chapel, and the arrival of
Salvationists, Brethren, and the London City
Mission. The Baptists advanced, having 872
attendances on one Sunday in 1903, and
the Congregationalists declined, with only 315
attendances; Methodist attendances had reached
715 but the other denominations were small.
Overall attendances rose slightly from 1,906 in
1851 to 2,305 in 1903. They had changed little
by 1978, when there remained three Baptist
churches, a United Reformed church, one
Methodist church, and two meetings of the
London City Mission.
At Ealing, in contrast, the number of meetings
had increased to nine by 1903, when attendances
had grown eleven-fold to 5,676, more than
half the total recorded at Anglican churches.
The principal denominations were the Baptists
with 2,130 attendances, the Methodists with
1,370, the Congregationalists with 817, the
Presbyterians with 690, and the Brethren with
444, but there were also Quakers, Salvationists,
and others. As building spread, more meetings of
Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Methodists,
Brethren, and smaller denominations were
established, mainly before the Second World
War, and daughter churches were founded in
adjoining parishes. In spite of some decline,
particularly among the Congregationalists, there
were 25 places of nonconformist worship in 1978,
including three Methodist, two Baptist, four
Presbyterian, and four of Brethren.
Society Of Friends. (fn. 72)
Quakers, at Brentford
1659, (fn. 73) had mtg. there 1706 (fn. 74) and reg. ho. and
barn near Goat inn, Ferry Lane, Old Brentford,
1707. (fn. 75) William Penn (d. 1718) lived at Brentford
1706-10. (fn. 76) Numbers at New Brentford increasing c. 1770. (fn. 77) Moved to Brentford End, Isleworth, 1785 but still called Brentford mtg. (fn. 78)
Ealing Quakers' attendance at Y.M.C.A. 1903:
14 a.m. Thereafter met regularly at Y.M.C.A.,
Uxbridge Rd., 1905-7, at Y.M.C.A., Bond
Street, 1908-28, at no. 49 Uxbridge Rd., 1929-
51, at no. 20 Florence Rd., 1952-3, at Y.M.C.A.,
Uxbridge Rd., 1953-4, and from 1954 at modern
hall seating 100 at no. 17 Woodville Gdns. Acton
mtg. joined them 1940. (fn. 79)
Anabaptists met at Brentford 1692. (fn. 80)
Another mtg. reg. at ho. of Nathaniel Swinden in
Ealing parish 1710 (fn. 81) may have been licensed mtg.
mentioned 1770, (fn. 82) mtg. ho. rented by Francis
Swinden 1790-2, (fn. 83) and one at Old Brentford
1797 and 1816. (fn. 84) May also have been chapel later
claimed to have been at Troy Town, Old Brentford, (fn. 85) and preaching ho. of Thomas Wood
recorded at Spring Gdns., Old Brentford, 1786-
1805. (fn. 86) No direct connexion with later Bapt.
Park chapel, at corner of Boston Manor and
Great West rds., New Brentford. Mtg. founded
1799 by min. at Hammersmith in ho. in Market
Place, (fn. 87) later in min.'s ho. as Particular Bapts.,
and moved 1808 to chapel NW. of Market Place
1808, (fn. 88) which was enlarged to seat 190 after
foundation of Sunday sch. 1817. Supported by
Hammersmith mtg. 1824-9. Attendance 1851:
77 a.m. (inc. Sunday sch. 21); 35 children afternoon; 100 evening. (fn. 89) Services in town hall from c.
1851 until 1855, when surviving chapel seating
500 opened. (fn. 90) Attendance 1903: 190 a.m.; 426
p.m. Classrooms added 1869 replaced 1936 by
hall, where services held 1940 until 1950 reopening of bomb-damaged church, seating 400
in 1978. (fn. 91) Seceders founded W. Ealing Bapt.
church 1864 and Ealing Rd. Bapt. church c. 1893,
the second reuniting with Park chapel between
1903 and 1923. Albany (Independent) and Park
chapels amalgamated 1879.
North Rd. Bapt. church, Old Brentford, said
to descend from earlier chapel at Troy Town. (fn. 92)
Thomas Dewell, who reg. mtg. of Independents
in bldg. opposite Moon and Seven Stars inn, (fn. 93)
Old Brentford, was trustee of mtg. of Bapts., later
Particular Bapts., established in outhouse on E.
side of North Rd. 1819. (fn. 94) No min. from 1820
until 1825, when John Andrews Jones (d. 1868),
pamphleteer, was appointed. (fn. 95) In 1837 Zoar
chapel was founded at Hounslow. (fn. 96) Surviving
bldg. on W. side of North Rd. opened 1840 (fn. 97) and
enlarged 1854, when min. seceded to Brethren.
Attendance 1851: 200 a.m. (inc. 90 Sunday sch.);
90 children afternoon; 220 evening. (fn. 98) Attendance
1903: 201 a.m.; 157 p.m. Church bombed 1940
and restored 1954, with sittings reduced to 200.
West Ealing, formerly Ealing Dean, Bapt.
church founded 1864 by Particular Bapts. from
Park chapel, Brentford. Mtgs. first at small drill
hall of 30th Mdx. Volunteers, Uxbridge Rd., (fn. 99)
and from 1865 at surviving church seating 450, in
Chapel Rd., W. Ealing. Attendance 1903: 334
a.m.; 358 p.m. Bldg. enlarged 1927 and repaired,
after war damage, 1953; adjoining Sunday schs.
of 1897 enlarged 1913. Seated 300 in 1978. (fn. 1)
Haven Green Bapt. church, Castlebar Rd.,
founded 1880 by Lond. Bapt. Assoc. Seated 872
but overcrowded 1893. (fn. 2) Attendance 1903: 576
a.m.; 862 p.m. Sunday sch. and hall added 1910,
church renovated 1928, and room at rear demol.
1974. (fn. 3) Seated 930 in 1978. Daughter churches
founded at Greenford by 1931 and N. Hanwell
1938. (fn. 4)
Pastor and other seceders from Park chapel
1893 met by 1896 in iron tabernacle at Ealing
Rd., Old Brentford. Attendance 1903: 55 a.m.;
63 p.m. Later in 1903, after min.'s departure, members reunited with Park chapel and
tabernacle sold. Existing bldg. beside tabernacle
used by Meths. 1914 (fn. 5) but reg. as Park chapel
mission church 1919 (fn. 6) and independent as
Ealing Rd. Bapt. church 1923. Tabernacle
demol. 1945. (fn. 7)
South Ealing Bapt. church existed at Junction
Rd. by 1921 and had closed by 1961. (fn. 8)
John Jackson held
services at Brentford in 1672, when licensed to
hold them at his ho., and until c. 1689. (fn. 9) Apparently succeeded by John Walker, who kept
mtg. ho. at Old Brentford 1690 (fn. 10) and became
min. of Brentford Cong. church 1694, when
Protestant dissenters reg. leasehold mtg. ho. in
Ferry Lane. Church served wide area (fn. 11) and
attracted many legacies, notably those of John
Sanders c. 1731, John Brice c. 1778, one
Ormerod, and Revd. Timothy Hargreaves (d.
1793); (fn. 12) income from endowments was £51 in
1840 and £1,791 was invested in stock 1868. (fn. 13)
Existing bldg. opened at E. end of the Butts 1783
as the 'new temple', but called Boston Rd. chapel
by 1845. (fn. 14) Members, Cong. or Independent by
1851, united with Albany chapel 1840 and again
1875. Attendance 1851, when seating for 400:
240 a.m. (inc. 110 Sunday sch.); 130 children
afternoon; 180 evening. (fn. 15) Attendance 1903: 135
a.m.; 180 p.m. After bomb damage 1944 church
was restored with reduced accommodation, seating 160 in 1978. Joined Presbs. as Brentford
United Reformed church 1972. (fn. 16)
Independents reg. Old Mtg. Ho. at the
Borough, Old Brentford, 1798, first floor of ho.
opposite Moon and Seven Stars, Old Brentford,
1818, and bldg. near Ealing Rd., Old Brentford,
1819. (fn. 17)
Albany chapel, S. of Albany Rd., Old Brentford, opened 1829 by Independents, (fn. 18) who, with
no settled pastor, moved to Boston Rd. chapel
1840. Albany chapel again used for worship from
1842 (fn. 19) and was interdenominational 1851, when
pastor of Boston Rd. chapel reported attendance
of 40 a.m. (fn. 20) Threatened with closure 1862 (fn. 21) but
again reg. 1864 by Independents, (fn. 22) who united
with Boston Rd. chapel 1875 and closed Albany
chapel 1879. (fn. 23) Bldg. used for interdenominational worship 1882. (fn. 24)
Ealing Green Cong. church said to originate in
mtgs. in cottage at Ealing c. 1800, which may
have been chapel near Red Lion 1816. (fn. 25) Chapel
opened in the Grove 1822, with permanent min.
from 1834, (fn. 26) rebuilt to seat 430 in 1848. Attendance 1851: 265 a.m. (inc. 109 Sunday sch.);
267 p.m. (fn. 27) Grove chapel, later St. Saviour's sch.,
replaced by bldg. E. of Ealing green 1860. Hall
added and church enlarged, to seat 760, by 1895.
Attendance 1903: 386 a.m.; 235 p.m. Bldg.
known as 'big church' from 1926, when rooms
were added and 'little church' was opened for
children. (fn. 28) Used since 1972 by both United
Reformed and Meth. churches, (fn. 29) Meths. being
more numerous 1978. (fn. 30)
West Ealing Cong., from 1972 United Reformed, church was formed in 1900, with services
at no. 70 the Avenue from 1901 and at hall in
Argyll Rd. from 1903. (fn. 31) Attendances 1903: 108
a.m.; 88 p.m. After First World War hall adapted
as permanent church and another hall and classrooms added. Church, seating 200, closed between 1951 and 1976. (fn. 32)
St. Andrew's Presb., from
1972 United Reformed, church was formed by
Scottish members of Ealing Green Cong. church,
who met from 1875 in iron bldg. seating 300
opposite Christ the Saviour church in Broadway.
New church at corner of Mount Park and Aston
rds. 1887, with seating increased from 550 to 800
in 1890s. (fn. 33) Attendance 1903: 390 a.m.; 300 p.m.
Seated 480 in 1978. (fn. 34) Daughter churches established at Wembley 1898 and Elthorne Pk.,
St. Aidan's Presb., from 1972 United Reformed, church, Northfields, replaced Elthorne
Pk. Presb. church, Hanwell, 1922. Bldg., at
corner of Leybourne Ave. and St. Aidan's Rd.,
seats 200. (fn. 35)
Members of Presb. Church of Wales met at
Y.W.C.A., Uxbridge Rd., 1903-4 and at Swift's
assembly rooms from 1904 until 1909, when
Welsh Presb. church, Ealing green, was opened.
Church flourished during 1930s but shared min.
with Hammersmith (closed 1972) from 1961 and
Walham Green, Fulham, from 1969. (fn. 36)
An International Presb. church reg. at no. 52
Cleveland Rd., Ealing, 1975. (fn. 37)
John Wesley frequently visited
Brentford, (fn. 38) where a Meth. group existed 1745
and 1748 but had almost disappeared by 1750.
New cong. met in large bldg., perhaps near St.
George's church, 1760 and had almost died out
1786, but revived with well attended mtgs. by
1790. (fn. 39) Former Presb. chapel at Ferry Lane, Old
Brentford, used from 1783, (fn. 40) and new Wes. mtg.
ho. N. of High St. near modern St. Paul's Road,
from 1811. (fn. 41) Attendance 1851: 230 a.m. (inc. 145
Sunday sch.); 120 p.m. Church, seating 536 in
1851, (fn. 42) rebuilt c. 1865 and replaced by ornate
Gothic bldg. at corner of Windmill and Clifden
rds. 1890, (fn. 43) with spire added 1903. (fn. 44) Attendance
1903: 273 a.m.; 324 p.m. Church restored 1951
after bomb damage (fn. 45) and replaced 1964, after
union with Jubilee chapel (q.v.), by Clifden Rd.
Meth. church (fn. 46) on part of site in Clifden Rd.
Primitive Meths. reg. private ho. at Ealing
1825 (fn. 47) and schoolroom at New Brentford 1843. (fn. 48)
Met 1847-95 in committee room seating 70 at
Ferry Lane, Old Brentford. Average attendance
1851: 25 a.m.; 25 afternoon; 70 evening. (fn. 49)
Land conveyed 1869 for Primitive Meth.
chapel in a new road, (fn. 50) apparently Distillery Rd.,
Old Brentford. Jubilee chapel, New Rd., Old
Brentford, was founded 1897 by Primitive Meths.
who used two other halls in New Road 1884-95
and 1890-99 respectively. (fn. 51) Attendance 1903: 89
a.m.; 106 p.m. Replaced by new Meth. church in
Clifden Rd. 1964. (fn. 52)
Ealing Broadway Wes. Meth. church originated in services at no. 1 Milford Villas, the Mall,
1864. (fn. 53) Sch. chapel seating 300 built in Windsor
Rd. 1865 (fn. 54) and adjoining church seating 1,000
added on corner with the Mall 1869. (fn. 55) Attendance
1903: 364 a.m.; 381 p.m. Sch. chapel replaced by
hall 1925. (fn. 56) Bldg. compulsorily sold 1970 (fn. 57) but
survived 1978; members moved 1972 to Ealing
Green United Reformed. (fn. 58)
West Ealing Primitive Meth. church, Uxbridge
Rd., built 1900 with seating for 450 on site of
temporary chapel used since 1861. (fn. 59) Attendance
1903: 237 a.m.; 378 p.m. Closed 1959, when
cong. moved to Kingsdown Meth. church, and
sold 1963. (fn. 60)
Kingsdown Wes. Meth. church, at corner of
Northfield and Kingsdown aves., originally in
sch. chapel seating 400 and opened 1908. (fn. 61)
Permanent church built beside it 1929 at expense
of T. W. Moullin and called Moullin Memorial
Meth. church. Renamed Kingsdown 1959 after
amalgamation with W. Ealing Meth. church.
Sch. chapel replaced by hall 1964. Church,
altered 1963, seated 220 in 1978. (fn. 62)
Pitshanger Wes. Meth. church, at corner of
Pitshanger Lane and Lindfield Rd., N. Ealing,
built 1913 for members who had worshipped
since 1910 at private ho. in Pitshanger Lane.
Intended as temporary bldg. but extended 1929
and reconstructed 1955, (fn. 63) before replacement
1977-8 by new church on same site. Adjoining
hall of 1950 used for services during rebldg. (fn. 64)
Meth. church in Ealing Rd., Old Brentford,
built 1914 but called Ealing Rd. Bapt. church by
1923. (fn. 65)
C. H. Coles, pastor of North Rd.
Bapt. church, seceded with others 1854 to found
mtg. of Brethren, (fn. 66) perhaps group which met
1903 at no. 93 High St. Attendance 1903: 19 a.m.;
Brethren met at Gospel hall (later Grove hall),
on N. side of the Grove, Ealing c. 1875. (fn. 67)
Attendance 1903: 83 a.m.; 75 p.m. Mtg. survived
1978 and established daughter church at Greenford 1929. (fn. 68)
Brethren met at Sunnyside Room, Disraeli
Rd., Ealing 1903. Attendance 1903: 148 a.m.; 138
p.m. Room had been converted to a dwelling by
Brethren met at Dean hall, Williams Rd.,
Ealing Dean, from 1912 (fn. 69) and at Southfield hall,
on S. side of Pope's Lane, S. Ealing, from 1928. (fn. 70)
Both groups survived 1978.
Florence hall, one-storeyed structure in garden
of no. 8 Florence Terrace, the Mall, reg. 1933 but
disused 1964. (fn. 71)
Exclusive Brethren from Dean hall mtg.
worshipped at room in Green Man Passage, W.
Ealing, 1933-78. (fn. 72)
Barracks at Ealing in Baker's
Lane by 1889. (fn. 73) Attendance 1903: 55 a.m.; 166
p.m. Moved 1909 to surviving citadel at corner of
Leeland Rd. and Leeland Terrace, W. Ealing. (fn. 74)
Another barracks reg. at no. 5 Green View, High
St., Ealing, between 1891 and 1895. (fn. 75)
At New Brentford Salvationists sought
premises 1887 (fn. 76) and opened gospel hall in
Market Place 1894. (fn. 77) Attendance 1903: 16 a.m.;
50 p.m. Moved 1903 to hall over post office in
Market Place, (fn. 78) 1909 to hall at no. 34 High St.
acquired in previous year, (fn. 79) and 1915 back to hall
over post office. Closed by 1925. (fn. 80)
Latter Day Saints reg. Potter's
auction room in High St., Old Brentford, 1851. (fn. 81)
Average Sunday sch. attendance 1851: 6 a.m.; 10
afternoon; 12 evening. (fn. 82)
Spiritualist church originated in mtg. 1906 at
Horn Lane, Acton. Moved 1908 to New Broadway, Ealing, and 1923 to former Salvation Army
barracks in Baker's Lane, replaced by church at
nos. 8 and 9 Baker's Lane 1936-7. (fn. 83)
Three rooms at no. 12 Somerset Rd., W.
Ealing, reg. by 1964 as Lileth Spiritualist church
and healing sanctuary, (fn. 84) which survived 1978.
Other Denominations And Unspecified Missions.
The Blue Ribbon Gospel Army reg.
hall in Baker's Lane, Ealing, 1885. Reg. cancelled
1925. (fn. 85)
Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance worshipped
at Cranmer hall social bldg. 1930-4. Moved to
tabernacle, formerly Elite picture palace, in
Northfield Ave., W. Ealing, which seated over
300 in 1978. (fn. 86)
Crusaders opened surviving Crusader hall in
Woodgrange Rd., Ealing, 1935. (fn. 87)
Seventh Day Adventists reg. Shaftesbury hall,
at no. 5A New Broadway, Ealing, 1936. Reg.
cancelled 1954. (fn. 88)
Jehovah's Witnesses in 1939 opened Kingdom
hall at no. 40B Uxbridge Rd., Ealing, which was
disused 1947. (fn. 89) Opened Kingdom hall, formerly
St. Mary's girls' sch., W. of Ealing green 1950. (fn. 90)
Christian Scientists reg. first floor of nos. 11
and 12 the Green, High St., Ealing, 1939. Reg.
cancelled 1961, on move to Hanwell. (fn. 91)
The Sutcliffe School of Radiant Living, established since 1934 at Westm., reg. Harmony hall,
upstairs room at no. 64 St. Mary's Rd., Ealing,
1940. Reg. cancelled 1964. (fn. 92)
Children of God reg. classroom at Ealing
college, the Mall, 1947. Reg. cancelled 1954. (fn. 93)
Undesignated Christians reg. existing Mount
Ave. room, behind no. 38 Mount Ave., N. Ealing,
1951. (fn. 94)
Ealing Pleasant Sunday Afternoon Society had
hall and institute at Green Man Passage, W.
Ealing, reg. for worship 1970. (fn. 95)
Christadelphians used hall at corner of
Ranelagh and Blandford rds., Ealing, 1977.
Assyrian church opened former Good Shepherd hall, Ealing Rd., as Assyrian hall 1978. (fn. 96)