Ealing and Brentford
Judaism

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T F T Baker, C R Elrington (Editors), Diane K Bolton, Patricia E C Croot, M A Hicks

Year published

1982

Supporting documents

Page

162

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Ealing and Brentford: Judaism', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 162. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22587 Date accessed: 22 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

JUDAISM.

Although the Rothschilds were practising Jews, as were other families at Ealing by 1910, there was no synagogue until the foundation in 1919 of Ealing and Acton Hebrew Congregation, which was affiliated to the United Synagogue. Meeting first at a private house, then at the Y.M.C.A. in Bond Street, and from 1921 at no. 75 Uxbridge Road, it moved in 1924 to no. 15 Grange Road. There it was registered as Ealing and Acton associate synagogue, which by 1978 had become a district synagogue. The synagogue was enlarged in 1931 and a new hall was added in 1938 and extended in 1962. (fn. 98)

Ealing Liberal synagogue, affiliated to the Union of Liberal and Progressive Synagogues, was established in 1943 (fn. 99) and acquired the former St. Luke's church for worship in 1952. (fn. 1)

Footnotes

98 G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 49012; Ealing and Acton Dist. Synagogue (jubilee booklet 1969).
99 Jewish Year Bk. (1980).
1 G.R.O. Worship Reg. no. 63882.