Willesden church, mentioned in
1181, (fn. 42) was the parish church for the whole of
Willesden until 1867. The rectory belonged to
the dean and chapter of St. Paul's, London. (fn. 43)
A vicarage was first mentioned in 1249-50 as
having all the altar dues, a house and garden next
the church, and some land. (fn. 44) The advowson of
the vicarage always belonged to the dean and
chapter of St. Paul's and was reserved from leases
of the rectory in the 13th century but was leased
with the rectory during the later Middle Ages,
when the lessees were canons. (fn. 45)
In 1297 the vicarage was taxed at £2; (fn. 46) in 1474
the vicar was allowed to be non-resident because
of the small value of the vicarage, (fn. 47) but in 1535 its
annual value was £14. (fn. 48) It was £40 in 1650 (fn. 49) and
£160 in 1847. (fn. 50) The vicar's property in 1297
consisted of a house and garden, 9 a. of arable,
and 4 marks a year from the chamber of St.
Paul's. (fn. 51) In 1652 £50 a year was voted as
augmentation for the vicar (fn. 52) but from 1668
lessees of the rectory were required to pay £20
a year to the vicar. (fn. 53) In 1823 the vicar's glebe
consisted of some 15 a. at Church End and his
tithes were commuted to a corn rent then worth
£129. (fn. 54) In 1887 the corn rent was converted into
a rent charge of £84. By that time the vicarial
glebe had shrunk to 5 a. (fn. 55) The vicar had conveyed
a small piece of the glebe for the parish school in
1840 (fn. 56) and in 1881 he exchanged his lands southwest of the church for rectorial glebe surrounding
the vicarage. (fn. 57) The vicarage received grants from
the Common Fund of £10 a year in 1849, £30 a
year in 1863, £120 a year for a curate in 1867, and
£560 for a parsonage in 1881; (fn. 58) the gross income
increased from £169 a year in 1851 (fn. 59) to £507 a
year by 1896. (fn. 60)
The vicarage house was assessed on six hearths
in 1664. (fn. 61) Rebuilt as a plain brick house in the
18th century, (fn. 62) it was in a very bad condition by
1851 when, aided by a grant from Queen Anne's
Bounty, it was replaced by a solid building
designed by Thomas Tinkler on a site further
north. (fn. 63) In 1904 that was in turn replaced by a
large building designed by W. D. Caroëon the
same site. In 1939 N. F. Cachemaille-Day
designed a new vicarage, sited to the south, and
the old vicarage was turned into flats in 1975. (fn. 64)
A gift of property by Ralph Fairsire of Harlesden by will proved 1349 for a chantry before the
altar of St. Catherine in Willesden church (fn. 65) had
no mortmain licence; the king confiscated it and
granted it to a layman in 1392. (fn. 66) Thomas Willesden, by will proved 1494, gave the residue of his
money for a chantry chaplain and an obit, but
there is no evidence of any such chantry or obit. (fn. 67)
Obits were founded by William Barber (fl. mid
14th century), (fn. 68) William Page (1500), (fn. 69) and
Thomas Paulet (fl. 1494), (fn. 70) the endowments
being confiscated and sold in 1548-9. (fn. 71) In 1297
the church contained a great cross with images of
the Virgin and St. John the Evangelist on the
beam next the chancel besides images of St. John
the Baptist, St. Nicholas, and St. Catherine. (fn. 72) Of
the Virgin there were two large sculptured
images and a red banner with a gold image in
1249-50 (fn. 73) and two images with tabernacles in
1297. (fn. 74)
The cult of St. Mary at Willesden, (fn. 75) for which
the evidence belongs mostly to the later Middle
Ages, attracted pilgrims from London and
generous offerings, although even before the
Reformation it was regarded with some suspicion.
It may have originated either with the 'distant
tradition' that the Virgin appeared in the churchyard and caused a spring to flow or with the
veneration of an ancient image of the Virgin. The
tradition suggests that the church was built on
the site of a holy well, perhaps that which gave
Willesden its name. (fn. 76) The image was described
by a woman who in 1509 was ordered to do
penance for her blasphemy as 'a brunt-tailed
elf on a brunt-tailed stock', (fn. 77) and c. 1535 was
found to be of wood 'in colour like ebony, of
ancient workmanship', covered with silk and
jewels; it was taken away and burnt at Chelsea in
1538. (fn. 78)
The medieval church had been rich in ornaments, plate, vestments, and books. (fn. 79) Some
vestments, altar cloths, and a chalice were stolen
in 1550 although a considerable quantity still
remained. (fn. 80) By the Civil War period puritanical
influence was strong; the parish was dominated
by the parliamentarian William Roberts who
conducted marriages at his house and took charge
of the registers during the Interregnum. (fn. 81)
Roberts may have had a hand in the appointment
of Edward Perkins, vicar from 1645 until ejected
in 1662, described in 1649 as a 'learned and able
minister'. (fn. 82)
Many of the vicars of Willesden, especially
from the late 17th to the mid 19th century, were
also canons of St. Paul's, prebendaries, and
pluralists. (fn. 83) One prebendary, Francis Hawkins,
vicar 1670-99, was followed by another, William
Hawkins, vicar 1699-1736, presumably his
kinsman and perhaps his son, who married one
of the coheirs of the Roberts estate. William
Hawkins, whose brother George acted as his
curate in 1714, (fn. 84) was also minister of Kingsbury
as were several other vicars in the 18th century
and the early 19th. One such was Moses Wright
(1764-94), a canon and a fashionable London
preacher, who seems to have been reasonably
conscientious in the cure of Willesden and
Kingsbury: in 1777 services were held at Willesden at 8 and 10 a.m. on most Sundays. Kingsbury
people were expected to attend usually at
Willesden. (fn. 85)
There had been chaplains to assist the vicar in
the 13th century, (fn. 86) 1381, (fn. 87) 1547, (fn. 88) 1559, and
1562. (fn. 89) Curates were common from the 1680s. (fn. 90)
In 1807 the vestry requested the vicar to pay the
parish occasional visits and to appoint a resident
curate, and when the vicar replied that he could
not afford to, the parish made an annual collection
and a salaried curate was appointed. (fn. 91) In 1820 on
the vicar's death the vestry petitioned the dean
and chapter of St. Paul's for a regular afternoon
service, as especially needed by servants and the
poor; its lack was allegedly a cause of the recent
foundation of a dissenting meeting house. (fn. 92) In
1871 a winter evening service was introduced to
supplement the summer one, and prayers and the
litany were said twice on weekdays. In 1873 there
was a morning, afternoon, and evening service on
Sundays with communion on alternate Sundays
and at the chief festivals. In 1875 women were
removed from the choir and surplices were worn.
Joseph Crane Wharton, vicar 1864-88, was the
first for a long time who was not a pluralist; his
curates evangelized the rapidly increasing
population, running missions in various parts of
the parish, especially during the vicar's absence
through illness in the 1880s. (fn. 93) A parish magazine,
edited by a curate, was started in 1872. (fn. 94) By 1886
there was a young men's institute, a temperance
society, and a choral association. (fn. 95)
By 1903 St. Mary's was attended on one
Sunday by 123 in the morning and 304 in the
evening, only slightly above the average for
Willesden's 17 Anglican churches. (fn. 96) One of the
poorest parishes in the diocese of London, St.
Mary's in 1907 ran two missions and needed
funds for three assistant clergy, a trained nurse,
and a parish sister. (fn. 97) Proposals were made in 1897
for a mission room in Taylor's Lane for 200
people. The room, in use by 1900, was attended
by 68 people on the evening of one Sunday in
1903. It still existed in 1937. In 1899 St. Mary's
opened an iron mission in Dog Lane for railway
employees. It was attended on a Sunday in 1903
by 26 in the morning and 31 in the evening. It was
used as a church hall for St. Raphael's, Garden
Way (q.v.), which replaced it, from 1910 until
1924. (fn. 98)
The suffragan bishopric of Willesden was
founded in 1911. (fn. 99)
The church of St. Mary, (fn. 1) so called by c.
1280, (fn. 2) is built of ragstone rubble and flint with
freestone dressings and consists of a chancel with
north and south chapels, aisled nave, south-west
tower and south porch. The oldest surviving part
of the church is the mid 12th-century font, one of
six Norman fonts in Middlesex. (fn. 3) A narrow 12thcentury window, found in the north wall, was
destroyed in 1872. Two mid 13th-century
cylindrical columns survive in the south and one
in the north arcade of the nave, suggesting that
the church then had north and south aisles. In
1297 the chancel roof was adequate while those of
the bell-tower and nave needed improvement; (fn. 4) at
the end of the 14th century the church was
described as being in a disgraceful state. (fn. 5) The
complaint by parishioners may have prompted
the indulgence offered in 1395 to all who contributed to the upkeep of Willesden church. As
a result the chancel and south-west tower were
rebuilt c. 1400. In the early 16th century a south
chapel was added and the outer wall of the south
aisle rebuilt; the chancel was renovated and the
chancel arch rebuilt, and possibly at that time the
north aisle was removed and the arcade filled. (fn. 6)
A south porch was added perhaps in the 17th
century. In 1750 a small square turret with a
pyramidal roof surmounted the tower; (fn. 7) in 1785 it
was falling in and was repaired, but it was
removed soon afterwards, probably in 1793 when
a peal of bells was given. (fn. 8) New pews were added
c. 1805, and a vestry was built north of the
chancel in 1813. A gallery, in existence by 1810,
was altered to accommodate pews in 1821, when
an organ gallery was built and the windows were
modernized. In 1824 more seats were needed. (fn. 9)
Roof bosses were removed from the chancel c.
1848 (fn. 10) and the church was 'grievously dilapidated' in 1849. (fn. 11) An unusually large vestry
meeting defeated a proposal to pull down the
church and build a new one, deciding instead to
preserve the exterior and repair the interior to
give 120 more sittings. (fn. 12) In 1852 the chancel was
repaired and the nave extended westwards under
the architect W. Little. (fn. 13) The church was restored in 1872 under E. J. Tarver: the western
gallery was removed, the north aisle and chapel
and an entrance porch were built, adding 227
seats to the 520 already there, the cement and
whitewash were removed from the exterior, and
the tower was opened to the interior. (fn. 14) Other
restorations were made to the nave roof in 1895,
the south-east chapel in 1917, and the whole
church in 1960-4.
There is a fine 14th-century door in the south
porch, a piscina in the chancel, an Easter
sepulchre in the south-east chapel, and an
Elizabethan communion table. (fn. 15) Brasses, rescued
after they had been thrown onto a rubbish heap
in the course of restoration, include these of
Bartholomew Willesden and his wife (1494), the
vicar William Lichfield (1517), Margaret wife of
Thomas Roberts (1505), Edmund Roberts with
his two wives and nine children (1585), Jane
Barne and her daughters (1609), and a mid-16th
century unidentified woman with six children.
There is a sculptured monument to Richard
Paine and his wife (1606) and monuments, mostly
in black marble, to John Barne (1615), Richard
Franklin (1615), John Franklin (1647), Francis
Roberts (1631), his wife Mary (1623), Sir William
Roberts, Bt. (1688), his wife Sarah (1682), Sir
William Roberts (1698), William Roberts (1700),
and Elizabeth wife of Francis Brende (1667). (fn. 16)
The author Charles Reade (d. 1884) is buried in
the churchyard, (fn. 17) which contains many striking
Willesden had two bells in 1297 and four in
1552. (fn. 18) All had been replaced or recast by 1717
when there were five bells, including three dated
1661, 1694, and 1704. (fn. 19) Thomas Mears was paid
for a peal of bells in 1793, (fn. 20) of which five survived
in the 20th century, together with two given in
1913 from the church of St. Peter-le-Poer, one of
1859, and a sanctus of 1696. (fn. 21)
Plate included a silver chalice in 1249-50 (fn. 22) and
1297, (fn. 23) a chalice given by Thomas Willesden
(d. 1494), (fn. 24) and a gilt chalice by the vicar William
Lichfield (d. 1517). (fn. 25) In 1552 after the theft of
a chalice there remained a silver and gilt chalice
and paten and two masers used for bride-ales. (fn. 26)
In the late 19th century the oldest plate was a cup
dated 1606. (fn. 27) The registers begin in 1569. (fn. 28)
Other C. of E. churches were: (fn. 29)
All Souls, Station Rd., Harlesden.
Mission services held by curate of St. Mary's at
Harlesden institute 1858. Dist. formed 1875
from Willesden, Acton, St. John's, Kensal
Green, and Hammersmith. (fn. 30) Patron Crown and
bp. of London alternately. One asst. curate by
1881, two by 1896, three by 1907. Attendance
1903: 360 a.m.; 477 p.m. High Church tradition
broken 1906 but restored in 1970s. (fn. 31) Iron church
1869. (fn. 32) Brick bldg. in plain Gothic style 1879 by
E. J. Tarver, extended 1890: chancel, nave,
N. and S. aisles, central octagon, shallow polygonal apse. Extensive repairs 1967. Worship
restricted to octagon 1970. Octagon restored and
nave demol. 1979. Missions: St. Mark (q.v.); Old
Oak Lane, Willesden Junction, Acton, c. 1902c. 1926; 10A Rucklidge Ave. c. 1902.
Christ Church, Willesden Lane,
Brondesbury. (fn. 33) Dist. formed 1867 from St.
Mary's under Dr. Charles W. Williams (d. 1889)
and financed by his sisters. (fn. 34) Declared a rectory
with tithe-charges transferred from St. Mary's
1868. (fn. 35) Williams, patron and first rector, succeeded by son, Charles D. Williams 1889-1913.
Patronage sold to parish c. 1930 and transferred
to Lord Chancellor c. 1957. United with St.
Lawrence's (q.v.) 1971. One asst. curate by 1896,
two by 1926. High Church. Attendance 1903:
300 a.m.; 447 p.m. Limestone bldg. in 13thcentury style by C. R. B. King: chancel, north
tower and spire, nave, N. aisle, N. transept,
and NW. porch 1866, S. aisle and S. transept
1899, choir vestry 1909. Damaged by land mine
1940, restored 1948. Missions: St. Lawrence
(q.v.); Poplars Ave. c. 1918; Avenue Close
Good Shepherd, Acton Lane, Lower
Place. Mission services held by curate of St.
Michael's, Stonebridge, c. 1883. New mission
bldg. 1890. (fn. 36) Attendance 1903: 40 a.m., 20 p.m.
Closed after 1908.
Holy Trinity, Brondesbury Rd., Kilburn. Founded by min. of St. Paul's, Kilburn
(q.v.). Dist. formed 1867 from St. Mary's. (fn. 37)
Patron trustees, by 1955 Church Patronage Soc.
United with St. Paul's, Kilburn, 1936 and from
1953 held with St. Anne's (q.v.). Low Church.
Attendance 1903: 116 a.m.; 108 p.m. Buff brick
bldg. 1867 with stone facings by F. and F. J.
Francis, seating 1,100. Destroyed by fire 1950
except tower and spire which were demol. by
1970. Mission in Canterbury Rd. 1903-48. (fn. 38)
St. Andrew, High Rd., Willesden Green.
Dist. formed 1880 from St. Mary's. (fn. 39) Patron
bp. of London and Crown alternately. Benefice
suspended under Pastoral Measures Act 1976
and held with St. Francis of Assisi (q.v.). (fn. 40) Four
asst. curates by 1896, three by 1926, two by 1947,
one by 1970; employed two members of Sisters of
Community of Church 1882-3. High Church.
Attendance 1903: 235 a.m.; 263 p.m. Iron
churches at junction of Villiers and Chaplin Rds.
1880-2, on High Rd. site 1882-7. (fn. 41) Brick bldg.
with stone facings in 13th-century style 1887 by
J. Brooks, extended 1897, seating 1,000: chancel
with N. and S. chapels, aisled and clerestoreyed
nave, shallow transepts. (fn. 42) Flemish reredos and
16th-century processional cross from Seville
cathedral. Missions: infant sch. in Chaplin Rd. c.
1887-c. 1908; (fn. 43) St. John the Baptist (q.v.).
St. Anne, Salusbury Rd., Brondesbury.
Originated as mission of London Diocesan
Home Mission 1899. (fn. 44) Parish formed 1905 from
Christ Church, Holy Trinity, and St. John's,
Kensal Green. Patron bp. of London, from 1953
alternately with Church Patronage Society. Held
with Holy Trinity (q.v.) from 1953. Two asst.
curates by 1907, one by 1926, none after 1947.
Attendance 1903: 62 a.m.; 97 p.m. Iron church
1900. Brick bldg. with stone dressings in 14thcentury style 1905 by J. E. K. and J. P. Cutts,
seating 750: chancel with two S. chapels, N.
vestry, aisled and clerestoreyed nave.
St. Catherine, (fn. 45) Dudden Hill Lane,
Neasden. Chapel of ease to St. Andrew's, Kingsbury, 1901; parish formed 1934. Patron dean and
chapter of St. Paul's. Held with St. Paul's,
Oxgate, 1980. Attendance 1903: 41 a.m.; 110
p.m. Iron chapel at corner of Neasden Lane and
Prout Grove, enlarged 1903. Brick bldg. with
stone dressings on new site in 14th-century style
1916 by J. S. Alder: (fn. 46) chancel, S. chapel, aisled
nave; W. extension in 13th-century style by E. B.
St. Cecilia, Acton Lane, Harlesden.
Mission of St. Michael's, Stonebridge, 1895.
Attendance 1903: 51 a.m.; 66 p.m. Closed 1956. (fn. 47)
St. Francis of Assis, Fleetwood Rd.,
Gladstone Park. London Diocesan Mission
church 1911; parish formed 1934. Patron bp. of
London. Held from 1976 with St. Andrew's
(q.v.). High Church. Temp. church seating 350
blt. 1911. Buff brick bldg. in style of lower
basilica at Assisi 1933 by J. H. Gibbons, seating
446: chancel with vestries, short central tower
with transepts, aisled nave. (fn. 48)
St. Gabriel, (fn. 49) Walm Lane, Cricklewood.
Dist. formed from St. Andrew's (q.v.) under
auspices of London Diocesan Home Mission
1890 with additions from Christ Church (q.v.)
1896. Patron bp. of London. Attendance 1903:
296 a.m.; 444 p.m. Iron church in Chichele
Rd. 1891, enlarged 1892 and 1894 to seat 400.
Stone bldg. in early 14th-century style 1897
by W. Bassett Smith and R. P. Day: chancel,
N. chapel, S. vestry, aisled and clerestoreyed
nave with N. transept, W. saddleback tower.
Damaged by lightning 1900, restored 1903,
St. John The Baptist, Dudden Hill
Lane. Mission founded from St. Andrew's (q.v.)
with aid from bp. of London's fund. Attendance
1903: 53 a.m.; 60 p.m. Bldg. 1901, seating 350.
Closed after 1937. (fn. 50)
St. John The Evangelist, Cambridge Gdns., Kilburn. Perpetual curacy
founded 1860. Dist. formed from Holy Trinity
(q.v.) 1872. (fn. 51) Patron trustees, by 1907 Church
Patronage Soc. One asst. curate by 1877, two by
1882, (fn. 52) one by 1926, none after 1935. United
with St. Augustine's, Kilburn, 1971. (fn. 53) Attendance 1903: 134 a.m.; 262 p.m. Founded as Low
Church mission from St. Paul's, Kilburn Square
(q.v.), in rivalry with High Church St. Mary's,
Kilburn. Min. forced to resign when introduced
surplices and services 1875. (fn. 54) V. complained of
'Romish tendencies' of St. Augustine's, Kilburn,
1880. (fn. 55) Iron church, seating 2,000, opened at
junction of Carlton and Kilburn Park roads and
destroyed by fire 1860. Rebuilt 1862. (fn. 56) Buff brick
bldg. with red brick dressings 1871 by F. and F.
J. Francis, seating 1,100: apsidal chancel, nave,
N. and S. aisles, NE. chapel, SE. crypt chapel,
SW. tower with octagonal bell-turret and spirelet.
Closed 1971 and burnt down 1975.
St. Lawrence, Chevening Rd., Brondesbury. (fn. 57) Mission founded from Christ Church,
Brondesbury, c. 1903. Parish formed from Christ
Church 1905. Patron bp. of London. United with
Christ Church (q.v.) 1971. High Church.
Attendance 1903: 79 a.m.; 105 p.m. Iron church
c. 1903. Red brick bldg. with stone dressings
1906 by J. E. K. and J. P. Cutts, seating 537:
nave, N. and S. aisles, W. baptistery; (fn. 58) never
completed. Closed 1971 and subsequently
St. Mark, Bathurst Gdns., Harlesden. (fn. 59)
Founded as mission from All Souls (q.v.) 1903.
Parish formed, with endowment transferred
from St. Olave's, Mile End, 1915. Patron
trustees of St. Olave's, Hart Street. Iron church
1903, seating 500. Brick bldg. with stone facings
in 14th-century style 1914 by J. S. Alder, seating
500: chancel with chapels, aisled and clerestoreyed nave; W. front completed 1968 by Riley
St. Martin, Mortimer Rd., Kensal Rise.
Founded 1899 as memorial church to Charles J.
Vaughan (d. 1897), headmaster of Harrow and
dean of Llandaff. Parish formed from St. Mary's,
St. John's, Kensal Green, Hammersmith, and
Kensington 1900. Patron bp. of London. Attendance 1903: 200 a.m.; 480 p.m. Red brick bldg.
with stone dressings in 13th-century style 1899
by J. E. K. and J. P. Cutts, seating 750: chancel
with S. chapel, aisled and clerestoreyed nave,
base for SW. tower, narthex. Mission in Harrow
Rd. by 1899, closed by 1908, (fn. 60) attendance 1903:
89 a.m.; 121 p.m.
St. Matthew, St. Mary's Rd., Willesden. (fn. 61) Founded by London Diocesan Home
Mission 1894. Parish formed from St. Mary's
and All Souls (q.v.) 1902. Patron bp. of London.
One asst. curate by 1899, three by 1905, two by
1912, one from 1928. Attendance 1903: 228 a.m.;
241 p.m. High Church. Musical tradition established c. 1918. Iron church 1895, seating 300. (fn. 62)
Brick bldg. with stone facings in mixed style 1901
by W. D. Caroë, seating 878: chancel, SE chapel,
nave, passage aisles, N. and S. transepts, narthex.
Medieval oak statue of St. Matthew possibly
from Glastonbury rood screen. Missions: St.
Thomas Rd. 1908; Roundwood Rd. 1926.
St. Michael, St. Michael's Rd., Cricklewood. (fn. 63) Founded by London Diocesan Home
Mission 1907. Parish formed from St. Gabriel's
(q.v.) 1910. Patron bp. of London. Benefice
sequestrated, in charge of V. of St. Gabriel's
1941-5. Benefice suspended because of friction
between V. and parishioners 1949-51. Mission
church 1907, later parish hall. Ashlar bldg.
in 14th-century style 1909 by J. S. Alder,
seating 754: chancel with N. chapel, aisled and
clerestoreyed nave, base for NW. tower.
St. Michael And All Angels, Hillside, Stonebridge. Mission meetings in rented
rooms 1876. Mission room in Melville Rd. 1879.
London Diocesan Home Mission provided new
mission 1885. (fn. 64) Parish formed from St. Mary's
and All Souls (q.v.) 1892. Patron bp. of London.
One asst. curate by 1926. Attendance 1903: 179
a.m.; 263 p.m. Red brick bldg. with stone dressings in late 13th-century style 1891 by Goldie
and Child, enlarged 1904, seating 750: chancel
with N. and S. chapels (1904), aisled and
clerestoreyed nave. Missions: Good Shepherd
(q.v.); St. Cecilia (q.v.); St. Peter (q.v.).
ST. PAUL, Kilburn Sq., Edgware Rd. Proprietary chapel founded by Francis Nalder
and John M. Close 1825. Proprietor and min.
c. 1840-1847 John Heming. (fn. 65) Patron Charles
Bradley 1863-7, Elizabeth Heming 1868-97.
Parish formed 1897. Patron Church Patronage
Soc. Attendance 1851: 461 a.m.; 218 p.m.; (fn. 66)
1903: 203 a.m.; 458 p.m. Low Church under
evangelical James J. Bolton 1852-63 (fn. 67) and George
Despard 1863-7. Congregation split and min.
left to found Holy Trinity (q.v.) 1867. Musical
reputation established by Henry G. Bonavia
Hunt 1887-1905. Bldg. of 1826 enlarged
1887-94, seating 600. Chancel rebuilt by 1908.
Church demol. and parish united with Holy
Trinity 1936. (fn. 68)
ST. PAUL, Dollis Hill Lane, Oxgate. (fn. 69)
Opened in iron church c. 1934 and moved to
bldg. (later church hall) in Oxgate Gdns. c. 1936.
Patron bp. of London. Brick and concrete bldg.
1939 by N. F. Cachemaille-Day, seating 360:
shallow chancel, aisled nave; 18th-century seating from City church. Closed 1980 and united
with St. Catherine, Neasden.
ST. PETER, Harrow Rd., Stonebridge.
Mission founded from St. Michael's, Stonebridge (q.v.), by 1902. Attendance 1903: 119
a.m.; 68 p.m. Closed after 1937. (fn. 70)
ST. RAPHAEL, Garden Way, Neasden.
London Diocesan Home Mission chapel for
Great Central Railway estate 1910. Iron church
at apex of Gresham and Woodheyes roads 1910,
seating 200. Bldg. at Garden Way 1924. (fn. 71)
ST. SAVIOUR, Quainton St., Neasden. (fn. 72)
London Diocesan Home Mission chapel for
Metropolitan Railway estate 1883. Dist. of St.
Saviour and St. Andrew, Kingsbury, formed
1885. Replaced by old St. Andrew's, Kingsbury,
1885. (fn. 73) Brick bldg. 1883, seating 220, used for
sch. 1884 and closed 1945.